Experience Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockChalk88

Reaction score
Ok, so I passed my PE last April and have a question about the experience requirement.  I need my previous job to count for at least 2 years of experience to qualify for the license.  The issue is that I did not work under a PE at my previous job.  I have a co worker at my current company that worked for my last company and did the exact same job as me (at a different office).  He has his PE and said he would sign off on my previous experience as he knows what I did there, but we never worked together.  Is that OK, or did I need to work directly under a PE for that time to qualify?  Thank you in advance as I have found conflicting answers to this.

It depends on the state you work in. I'm in New York, in New York your endorser does not have to be a licensed PE (it is preferred but not required), most states required that your experience be gained working directly under a PE, so it really depends on what state you are applying in.

Thanks, I'm in Texas.  I was able to find the following on the TBPE website today that I had missed in previous searches.  Looks like I am good to go:

Board Rule §133.51(b) allows for a reference who did not work with the applicant to review and judge the SER. An applicant might ask any of the references that are familiar with the applicant to review and judge the experience. The reference shall mark the appropriate box on the reference Statement (Character and Review of SER only for Purpose of Reference Statement). Follow the instructions on the back of the reference statement to request your reference statements. Send a signed copy of your SER to those references that will verify your engineering experience.

Back