Less Enthusiasm?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limamike

Reaction score
Is it me or are folks just not into the thrill of pass and the irony of fail anymore?  The board seams a bit slow. Where is the I PASSSSSSEEEDDDDDDD!!!!!   Or ****, the Holidays will SUCKK!!!!

Is it me or are folks just not into the thrill of pass and the irony of fail anymore?  The board seams a bit slow. Where is the I PASSSSSSEEEDDDDDDD!!!!!   Or ****, the Holidays will SUCKK!!!!
Apparently you haven't been keeping up on the Oct 2017 results thread....lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ebullience slowly fades when you come to the realization you will never be paid as much as doctors, bankers, or lawyers as a PE engineer considering our work could have a larger impact on the lives of others :(

The ebullience slowly fades when you come to the realization you will never be paid as much as doctors, bankers, or lawyers as a PE engineer considering our work could have a larger impact on the lives of others :(
Oh well, I guess six figures will do.

Oh well, I guess six figures will do.
Agreed. Though probably the only difference is that doctors/lawyers/investors typically start around the 6 figure mark. Professional engineers generally have to work their way up to that level. :thumbs:

Agreed. Though probably the only difference is that doctors/lawyers/investors typically start around the 6 figure mark. Professional engineers generally have to work their way up to that level. :thumbs:
Well they also have to go to medical/law school. So hypothetically, by the time we hit 6 figures, they are graduating or recently graduated.

Well they also have to go to medical/law school. So hypothetically, by the time we hit 6 figures, they are graduating or recently graduated.
True.  There are also several other factors.  A lot of doctors initially don't start off with great salaries.  Think of the ones who slog their way in emergency rooms.  Also the hours are crazy.  If you look at the average salaries of all engineers to all physicians the amount is comparable.  Some smaller market general practitioners actually make less.  Now when it comes to surgeons, anesthesiologists, etc. they can make quite a bit.  But their day-to-day routine is truly life or death.  Not saying we don't deserve more, just saying in general the difference may not be that great. 

True.  There are also several other factors.  A lot of doctors initially don't start off with great salaries.  Think of the ones who slog their way in emergency rooms.  Also the hours are crazy.  If you look at the average salaries of all engineers to all physicians the amount is comparable.  Some smaller market general practitioners actually make less.  Now when it comes to surgeons, anesthesiologists, etc. they can make quite a bit.  But their day-to-day routine is truly life or death.  Not saying we don't deserve more, just saying in general the difference may not be that great. 
Also, it seems as though all of the medical practitioners I know have a boatload of student loan debt (like in the range of mortgage payment).  Most of the engineers I know don't, at least to that extent.

Also, it seems as though all of the medical practitioners I know have a boatload of student loan debt (like in the range of mortgage payment).  Most of the engineers I know don't, at least to that extent.
No debt here except for a mortgage.

still working. forever working.

No debt here except for a mortgage.
I am in the same boat...finally replaced my first car out of college - hit the ten year mark and was extremely beat up.... Bought a new minivan and paid it off right away.  Life is much better when you don't have accrued debt and no exactly where you stand with finances.  Mind me asking how much you got left on your mortgage?  I have around 300 K with around 27 years left.  

Mind me asking how much you got left on your mortgage?  I have around 300 K with around 27 years left.  
Not that you were asking me, but we purchased our home in 2009 for roughly $255k. We're about half way through that now and are aiming to have it paid off completely in 15 yrs (30 yr loan). But then again, we also have 2 PE's under the roof. :thumbs:

Not that you were asking me, but we purchased our home in 2009 for roughly $255k. We're about half way through that now and are aiming to have it paid off completely in 15 yrs (30 yr loan). But then again, we also have 2 PE's under the roof. :thumbs:
Good stuff!  You are on track!  I am in a suburb right outside of Washington DC which makes everything super expensive.  Will hopefully pay our off early as well - just takes a commitment to pay a little extra when possible.  I've got two children at home and wife does not work.  

Good stuff!  You are on track!  I am in a suburb right outside of Washington DC which makes everything super expensive.  Will hopefully pay our off early as well - just takes a commitment to pay a little extra when possible.  I've got two children at home and wife does not work.  
Indeed, but sounds like you are also financially on track with the right amount of discipline to eliminate debt as best you can. So essentially, the mortgage is our only debt. We had a brief glimpse of being debt free shortly before we purchased our home. We saved a sizable down payment and had no other debt for about a 4-6 mo period. LOL

shoulda done what i did. (also bought a home in 2009 at roughly same price, $270k) just go delinquent while saving money and pay off the house in a short payoff prior to foreclosure. If it is your homestead, that'll take 4-5 years.

yes, yes, some people will claim this is 'unethical' but the ceo bankers weren't doing anyone favors by taking in millions in bonuses while their company took in tax-payer bailout money.

shoulda done what i did. (also bought a home in 2009 at roughly same price, $270k) just go delinquent while saving money and pay off the house in a short payoff prior to foreclosure. If it is your homestead, that'll take 4-5 years.

yes, yes, some people will claim this is 'unethical' but the ceo bankers weren't doing anyone favors by taking in millions in bonuses while their company took in tax-payer bailout money.
How does this work?  Do you get the house at a bargain in the short payoff?  I like the way you are thinking especially the last sentence in your post.  

How does this work?  Do you get the house at a bargain in the short payoff?  I like the way you are thinking especially the last sentence in your post.  
yup. home is paid off. i did have to bargain. In fact paid a bit more than i wanted due to having to hire a lawyer to postpone 6 months till i got all the cash i needed. (this caused the short payoff to be higher plus lawyer fees)

doing the math, my mortgage was $2000/month x 12 months x 5 years = 120k (i'm pretty sure i was delinquent for longer)

i used that cash with other money i saved for the short payoff

(yes, this was all legal)

Your credit must have taken a major hit...5 years of delinquent mortgage payment.

I know there are all these crazy loopholes out there, but this almost sounds like mortgage fraud.

Back