April 2018 PE Exam - Page 3 - Power Exam Sub Forum - Engineer Boards
Jump to content
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Mem_Elect_Engr

April 2018 PE Exam

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, TWJ PE said:

In the real world, I agree.

For the exam, the review course I took (School of PE/check local listings) said if they don't tell you then assume free air.

Hi TWJ PE, I'm taking the School of PE Power course as well (my last lecture video is tonight!).

May I ask, along with the School of PE notes what resources did you find most helpful during the exam?

Edited by BirdGrave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stpitman said:

This question does not mention piece of equipment that we are terminating our circuit to, so this section of the code would not apply to the answer

No, it doesn't.   But at the same time that section of the code indicates you must use the 75 degree column unless its specifically marked to allow 90C. Basically 75C except by listed exception and as you state no exception indicated.    

The question didn' ask what the table indicates.   The question asked what the allowable  ampacity of the conductors is.

 

Whic is why I take offense to it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, blewis216 said:

As far as voltages they are all given in L-L unless otherwise stated... hope that helps

 

11 hours ago, TWJ PE said:

What I've always been told is if it doesn't tell you then you are to assume it's free air.

Thank you both! I did not know either of these things as far as the exam. I feel like it seems unspecified and then the solutions half the time "a 69 kV 3-phase system" with no regard to whether its delta or wye and then out of nowhere the solution has it as are phase to phase wye. Or the NEC questions bounce around between conduit and free air willy-nilly. If the NCEES exam assumes LL unless specified and open air unless specified, why is this not discussed ever, anywhere, in any reference I've read? Much appreciated.

Edited by Surf and Snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Surf and Snow said:

 

Thank you both! I did not know either of these things as far as the exam. I feel like it seems unspecified and then the solutions half the time "a 69 kV 3-phase system" with no regard to whether its delta or wye and then out of nowhere the solution has it as are phase to phase wye. Or the NEC questions bounce around between conduit and free air willy-nilly. If the NCEES exam assumes LL unless specified and open air unless specified, why is this not discussed ever, anywhere, in any reference I've read? Much appreciated.

Unfortunately the test assumes that you conform to industry standards that aren't really well taught in undergrad. L-L is one, another one to remember is that when using pu if an S base is not given assume 100MVA as the default S base.

These are things I was never told in school but had to learn either in grad school or in industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blewis216 said:

Unfortunately the test assumes that you conform to industry standards that aren't really well taught in undergrad. L-L is one, another one to remember is that when using pu if an S base is not given assume 100MVA as the default S base.

These are things I was never told in school but had to learn either in grad school or in industry.

Indeed for the most part. Though this was taught during my particular power engineering undergraduate program. Then again, a good number of the professors in the program were also PE's. That probably helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!  I can't wait till Friday and get this over with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wvengineer said:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!  I can't wait till Friday and get this over with.

I can' wait either lol, hopefully I pass first try. 

Its been quiet on the forums today everybody must be studying hard or not at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bripgilb said:

GOOD LUCK FOLKS!

PE Round 2 in t-minus 4 Days and counting... ready to kill it!

Have you changed your study habits on your second attempt, or are you using any different resources?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BirdGrave

Well last year was hectic to say the least. Got married, working on some big projects, truck got stolen, etc.

So for this round I would say things have been more focused.

Examples:

  1. Actually completed Graffeo cover to cover
  2. Completed the following practice exams
    1. PP1 Practice exam 1 and 2
    2. New NCEES exam with new problems
    3. Kaplan Practice Exam
    4. Graffeo Practice Exam
  3. Actually went back and redid the problems I got wrong to strengthen my weaknesses.

Unlike my previous attempt it wasn't so much of a cram session as personal development. 

But, you never know what the exam could throw your way... so I continue to say my prayers, cross my fingers, knock on wood, kiss the sky, and if I could find a rabbit it'd be his unlucky day. :P

What about you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bripgilb said:

@BirdGrave

Well last year was hectic to say the least. Got married, working on some big projects, truck got stolen, etc.

So for this round I would say things have been more focused.

Examples:

  1. Actually completed Graffeo cover to cover
  2. Completed the following practice exams
    1. PP1 Practice exam 1 and 2
    2. New NCEES exam with new problems
    3. Kaplan Practice Exam
    4. Graffeo Practice Exam
  3. Actually went back and redid the problems I got wrong to strengthen my weaknesses.

Unlike my previous attempt it wasn't so much of a cram session as personal development. 

But, you never know what the exam could throw your way... so I continue to say my prayers, cross my fingers, knock on wood, kiss the sky, and if I could find a rabbit it'd be his unlucky day. :P

What about you?

This is my first time taking it.  I also have read Graffeo all the way through.  Additionally I took the School of PE power course and read the entirety of the notes, tabbing subject matter as I went along.  As far as practice tests are concerned I've done both the most recent and previous NCEES exams, the Engineeringproguide exam, the Graffeo exam, all 4 Complex Imaginary exams, and then some randomly generated exams from that power PE exam website, but I can't speak for the usefulness of those.

I tried reading through and tabbing the Wildi book, and while it has a lot of great information it is so dense and difficult to tab and keep track of subject matter that I worry about how useful it will be to me during the exam.  You could probably speak to that better than I could though.

Edited by BirdGrave
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2018 at 1:34 PM, stpitman said:

I'm taking the exam in Houston as well. I just found out that I don't have a copy of NFPA-70E, so I'm not looking forward to buying one for maybe 1 question on the exam... 

Does anyone know if the exams posted on the below website correlate well to the actual test:

http://pepowerexams.com/

I just took one and got an 80%. I'm worried that it's too simple. The practice NCEES exam seemed "dumbed down" too (with exception of the electronic questions). I feel like I'm going to get slammed when I take the actual test.

You will find the 2015 NFPA-70E version online. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Power specification only specifies an edition for NEC, so my thinking is, the 2015 version will be good enough for the exam.

Also, the below article talks about the changes made in the 2018 version.

https://www.ecmag.com/section/safety/whats-new-whats-changed-2018-nfpa-70e-update

probably you could print it out if you are also using the 2015 version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SSG said:

The Power specification only specifies an edition for NEC, so my thinking is, the 2015 version will be good enough for the exam.

Also, the below article talks about the changes made in the 2018 version.

https://www.ecmag.com/section/safety/whats-new-whats-changed-2018-nfpa-70e-update

probably you could print it out if you are also using the 2015 version. 

I actually currently have the 2018 copy of the 70E.  The reason I ask is because in the latest NCEES Practice Test the NFPA-70E related question (forgive me, I don't have the question number with me) cites a correct answer from a table, I believe Table 130.4, that is not the number given in the 2018 copy of 70E, but the number found in the 2018 70E table *is* one of the incorrect answers in the multiple choice selection for the question.  This has me a bit concerned that maybe they're working off of the 2015 book and looking to trip up anyone who has the 2018 copy.  

Edited by BirdGrave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BirdGrave said:

I actually currently have the 2018 copy of the 70E.  The reason I ask is because in the latest NCEES Practice Test the NFPA-70E related question (forgive me, I don't have the question number with me) cites a correct answer from a table, I believe Table 130.4, that is not the number given in the 2018 copy of 70E, but the number found in the 2018 70E table *is* one of the incorrect answers in the multiple choice selection for the question.  This has me a bit concerned that maybe they're working off of the 2015 book and looking to trip up anyone who has the 2018 copy.  

I was concerned about this too. I suspect that instead, they will put questions from the 2018 book on the exam, or make certain to deconflict questions so they don't penalize you for having the current edition. I think they wrote that question before the '18 edition came out.

But, just in case, I wrote down the approach distances from the '15 edition. If the same question appears, it will say which edition it wants us to go by, and I'll be ready either way... if it's an approach distance, that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm bringing the 2018 NFPA 70E since that's what I have for free at work. My understanding was when the bump up to the latest NEC they also bump up to the latest other references. But there probably arent many differences. I'd imagine they might have an arc flash calculation for example and the formula should be the same. ;)

Edited by Surf and Snow
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2018 at 10:43 PM, BirdGrave said:

This is my first time taking it.  I also have read Graffeo all the way through.  Additionally I took the School of PE power course and read the entirety of the notes, tabbing subject matter as I went along.  As far as practice tests are concerned I've done both the most recent and previous NCEES exams, the Engineeringproguide exam, the Graffeo exam, all 4 Complex Imaginary exams, and then some randomly generated exams from that power PE exam website, but I can't speak for the usefulness of those.

I tried reading through and tabbing the Wildi book, and while it has a lot of great information it is so dense and difficult to tab and keep track of subject matter that I worry about how useful it will be to me during the exam.  You could probably speak to that better than I could though.

@BirdGrave

Tabbing for me was the best part of my review.   

I tabbed the following :
2018 NEC with NEC tabs
Graffeo per the table of contents (Upset with how narrow the index is)
PPI Camera Reference manual
My own equation binder I made using the most common equations.

My first go around I used PPI reference manual, NEC, and my equation binder were most useful.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bripgilb said:

@BirdGrave

Tabbing for me was the best part of my review.   

I tabbed the following :
2018 NEC with NEC tabs
Graffeo per the table of contents (Upset with how narrow the index is)
PPI Camera Reference manual
My own equation binder I made using the most common equations.

My first go around I used PPI reference manual, NEC, and my equation binder were most useful.
 

If I may inquire, what was your score the first time around?  Even with your hectic personal life it seems like you prepared very well, and I can't imagine you came short of passing by more than a question or two, which must be very frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BirdGrave

Thanks man. I appreciate that!   Trust me when I say last year was the busiest year of my life.  

That said, I scored a 49/80. From the report generated from the Oct. 2018 test, I think I was about 4 questions shy of passing.  

By the way.... t-minus 1 day and counting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bripgilb said:

@BirdGrave

Thanks man. I appreciate that!   Trust me when I say last year was the busiest year of my life.  

That said, I scored a 49/80. From the report generated from the Oct. 2018 test, I think I was about 4 questions shy of passing.  

By the way.... t-minus 1 day and counting. 

I keep staring at the clock.  I feel like there are last minute things I should be doing, but I can't think of anything that would be overly beneficial.  

Out of curiosity, did you tab Wildi?  I feel like I should spend the evening trying to get that done, but when I began previously I found the book just too big for me to tab all the specific subjects and have it not be self-defeating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI I just received a response from NCEES and tomorrow's test will use the 2015 version of 70E.  This thread was making me nervous because I only have the 2015 version so I emailed them yesterday morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wvengineer said:

FYI I just received a response from NCEES and tomorrow's test will use the 2015 version of 70E.  This thread was making me nervous because I only have the 2015 version so I emailed them yesterday morning.

Crap, I guess I get to hope that outside of the approach distances that not much has changed between 2015 and 2018.  Or that other questions won't have the correct answer from 2018 as a wrong choice in the multiple choice selection.

Since approach boundaries have changed somewhat I searched out an online link of 2015 data.  For anyone who needs it.

https://www.powerstudies.com/sites/www.powerstudies.com/files/NFPA 70E-2015 Arc Flash and Shock Boundaries Poster_0.pdf

If someone has a more complete set of the 2015 data feel free to share.  I know I'll be appreciative :).

 

Edited by BirdGrave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BirdGrave said:

I keep staring at the clock.  I feel like there are last minute things I should be doing, but I can't think of anything that would be overly beneficial.  

Out of curiosity, did you tab Wildi?  I feel like I should spend the evening trying to get that done, but when I began previously I found the book just too big for me to tab all the specific subjects and have it not be self-defeating.

@BirdGrave...  I have not tabbed Wildi. I haven't even worked with it to be honest so I'm not sure what all it covers.

I had a similar feeling to the PPI reference manual, which I'm uncertain how it compares, but for me I just went through and tabbed the specific topics I referenced most down the side and I tabbed the begginnings to each major section (Circuit Analysis, Generation, Distribution, etc.) along the bottom.

By the way I'm having the same feelings as you.  Getting ancy.  I'm gonna go to the mall and blow some money to cope.  :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck test takers! Although it's easier said than done, it's time to start packing it in and clear your mind for a reset and refresh such that you are sharp and ready to hit the test head on to do your best. If you continue to stress and think about little things surrounding the exam, you're likely to experience mental fatigue. You have all put forth a substantial amount of effort in studying for this exam. Time to take your mind off things and prepare for exam day. If you don't know it by now, you're not likely to learn it in the next 24 hours or so. :thumbs:

BTW, if anyone is interested, I can share a very entertaining post-exam recap (power specific) from a previous examinee to help clear the air with a bit of humor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...