April 2018 PE Exam - Page 2 - Power Exam Sub Forum - Engineer Boards
Jump to content
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Mem_Elect_Engr

April 2018 PE Exam

Recommended Posts

Can anyone tell me how notes / scratch pad paper is handled during the PE exam?  Is it the same erasable pen / paper thing that is provided during the FE exams?

 

Also, do we have a certain guaranteed size table to take the test on?  Or do we have to shuffle the inactive books to the floor to make room for the book being referenced? 

 

Thanks!

Edited by Szar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2017 at 11:05 AM, Mem_Elect_Engr said:

Hey from MSP,

Does anyone know where to start preparing for Power exam. What reference should i buy and where can i buy it most economically? Any suggestions, took exam before and failed; took it easy and didn't have a lot of reference material.

Which references do you have now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Szar said:

Can anyone tell me how notes / scratch pad paper is handled during the PE exam?  Is it the same erasable pen / paper thing that is provided during the FE exams?

 

Also, do we have a certain guaranteed size table to take the test on?  Or do we have to shuffle the inactive books to the floor to make room for the book being referenced? 

 

Thanks!

The only thing you can write on is the exam booklet.  No scratch paper and can't write in your references.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "no scratch paper" kills me. I always use scratch paper. I like having notes about problems to return to, etc. Oh well.

Anyone taking the exam in Houston? I heard last year there were some issues with the chief proctor...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2018 at 3:35 PM, Szar said:

Can anyone tell me how notes / scratch pad paper is handled during the PE exam?  Is it the same erasable pen / paper thing that is provided during the FE exams?

 

Also, do we have a certain guaranteed size table to take the test on?  Or do we have to shuffle the inactive books to the floor to make room for the book being referenced? 

 

Thanks!

Desk size depends on location. First time I took the exam I had a large school cafeteria sized table. Second time at a different location I had very little space and had to keep stuff on the floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm taking the exam in Houston as well. I just found out that I don't have a copy of NFPA-70E, so I'm not looking forward to buying one for maybe 1 question on the exam... 

Does anyone know if the exams posted on the below website correlate well to the actual test:

http://pepowerexams.com/

I just took one and got an 80%. I'm worried that it's too simple. The practice NCEES exam seemed "dumbed down" too (with exception of the electronic questions). I feel like I'm going to get slammed when I take the actual test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stpitman said:

I'm taking the exam in Houston as well. I just found out that I don't have a copy of NFPA-70E, so I'm not looking forward to buying one for maybe 1 question on the exam... 

Does anyone know if the exams posted on the below website correlate well to the actual test:

http://pepowerexams.com/

I just took one and got an 80%. I'm worried that it's too simple. The practice NCEES exam seemed "dumbed down" too (with exception of the electronic questions). I feel like I'm going to get slammed when I take the actual test.

I'll be taking it on the 13th, but everything I've read from people who have run the gauntlet already says that the NCEES practice exam is the most representative approximation of the real exam you will find.  Some people say it's a bit easier than the real thing while some people say it's harder.  It probably has much to do with which version you sit for (heavy on concepts vs. heavy on calculations) and the nature of your personal strengths and weaknesses with the material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The practice exam is the absolute closest thing to the real thing since they are actual questions from previous tests. I'd say if you can get 80% on the NCEES practice exam it's a good sign.

Go through the NCEES exam and figure out why you missed each problem, if it was due to misreading the question then I'd make note of that because the content will change but the way they ask questions will be the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, blewis216 said:

The practice exam is the absolute closest thing to the real thing since they are actual questions from previous tests. I'd say if you can get 80% on the NCEES practice exam it's a good sign.

Go through the NCEES exam and figure out why you missed each problem, if it was due to misreading the question then I'd make note of that because the content will change but the way they ask questions will be the same.

Outside of the NCEES Practice Exam, what practice exam did you try and find to be the best approximation in terms of difficulty and content compared to the real thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BirdGrave said:

Outside of the NCEES Practice Exam, what practice exam did you try and find to be the best approximation in terms of difficulty and content compared to the real thing?

I did the graffeo practice exam, the 2 Camara PPI tests, and the 2017 NCEES Practice exam. The Graffeo was much easier than the actual test. The two PPI tests were much harder than the actual test. I took the NCEES practice test as a simulated exam and it was most similar in difficulty if not slightly easier than the actual exam.

My goal was always 90% on Graffeo, 70% on PPI, and 80% on NCEES. It worked, passed actual exam with 85%.

I wouldn't get too hung up on actual scores on practice tests though. Just make sure you're not making the same mistakes as you progress through studying and that you are feeling more confident every time you see new questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know whats the best references for :

  1. Ground resistance testing

  2. Grounding

  3.  Lightning protection

  4.  Surge protection

     

    Realizing these topics qualitative/ conceptual questions always get me in practice exams!

    Getting really scared now the exam is less than 2 weeks away!

     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell me what ya'll think about this practice question and solution:

image.png.36c04f980f48b04c3e258334a1ed0ff2.png

I think they're incorrectly sizing the conductor by using the 310.15(B)(17) instead of (b)(16).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ The question doesnt specify whether its in a raceway or conduit or free air, so its stupid ambiguous as to whether to use b16 or b17. After 3 months of studying, I've found that I legitimately KNOW how to solve 90% of the problems I encounter, and the most common reason I get the rest wrong is ambiguity of the problem like giving a voltage but not saying if its line or phase voltage or not specifying if a transformer is D-Y etc... Poor wording and ambiguity are driving me mad right now! :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2018 at 1:34 PM, stpitman said:

I'm taking the exam in Houston as well. I just found out that I don't have a copy of NFPA-70E, so I'm not looking forward to buying one for maybe 1 question on the exam... 

Does anyone know if the exams posted on the below website correlate well to the actual test:

http://pepowerexams.com/

I just took one and got an 80%. I'm worried that it's too simple. The practice NCEES exam seemed "dumbed down" too (with exception of the electronic questions). I feel like I'm going to get slammed when I take the actual test.

Make sure you have good concept about variable speed drive and solve some problem on that topic

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Surf and Snow said:

^^^ The question doesnt specify whether its in a raceway or conduit or free air, so its stupid ambiguous as to whether to use b16 or b17. After 3 months of studying, I've found that I legitimately KNOW how to solve 90% of the problems I encounter, and the most common reason I get the rest wrong is ambiguity of the problem like giving a voltage but not saying if its line or phase voltage or not specifying if a transformer is D-Y etc... Poor wording and ambiguity are driving me mad right now! :angry:

As far as voltages they are all given in L-L unless otherwise stated... hope that helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, stpitman said:

I'm taking the exam in Houston as well. I just found out that I don't have a copy of NFPA-70E, so I'm not looking forward to buying one for maybe 1 question on the exam... 

Does anyone know if the exams posted on the below website correlate well to the actual test:

http://pepowerexams.com/

I just took one and got an 80%. I'm worried that it's too simple. The practice NCEES exam seemed "dumbed down" too (with exception of the electronic questions). I feel like I'm going to get slammed when I take the actual test.

You might consider borrowing a copy of NFPA 70e from the library, there is a good chance there will be more than one question on it. I was sure glad i brought it. They were easy questions since I had the book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blewis216 said:

You might consider borrowing a copy of NFPA 70e from the library, there is a good chance there will be more than one question on it. I was sure glad i brought it. They were easy questions since I had the book.

Luckily, one of my co-workers has a PDF copy. I printed out the PDF and made a spiral booklet, so I'm good to go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, stpitman said:

Tell me what ya'll think about this practice question and solution:

image.png.36c04f980f48b04c3e258334a1ed0ff2.png

I think they're incorrectly sizing the conductor by using the 310.15(B)(17) instead of (b)(16).

Yea?  Well check out NEC 110.14 (C)(1)(b).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:42 PM, JohnMdd said:

The "no scratch paper" kills me. I always use scratch paper. I like having notes about problems to return to, etc. Oh well.

Anyone taking the exam in Houston? I heard last year there were some issues with the chief proctor...

He was certainly a dick in 2016. I highly doubt that changed last year. Just my opinion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Surf and Snow said:

^^^ The question doesnt specify whether its in a raceway or conduit or free air, so its stupid ambiguous as to whether to use b16 or b17. After 3 months of studying, I've found that I legitimately KNOW how to solve 90% of the problems I encounter, and the most common reason I get the rest wrong is ambiguity of the problem like giving a voltage but not saying if its line or phase voltage or not specifying if a transformer is D-Y etc... Poor wording and ambiguity are driving me mad right now! :angry:

What I've always been told is if it doesn't tell you then you are to assume it's free air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, stpitman said:

I'm taking the exam in Houston as well. I just found out that I don't have a copy of NFPA-70E, so I'm not looking forward to buying one for maybe 1 question on the exam... 

Does anyone know if the exams posted on the below website correlate well to the actual test:

http://pepowerexams.com/

I just took one and got an 80%. I'm worried that it's too simple. The practice NCEES exam seemed "dumbed down" too (with exception of the electronic questions). I feel like I'm going to get slammed when I take the actual test.

Yabut, one question could be the difference between green and red on your MyNCEES - best you bank this/these questions on your side of the column (just like the NESC).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Szar said:

Yea?  Well check out NEC 110.14 (C)(1)(b).

This question does not mention piece of equipment that we are terminating our circuit to, so this section of the code would not apply to the answer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TWJ PE said:

What I've always been told is if it doesn't tell you then you are to assume it's free air.

I think that's incorrect. I think we should always "assume" worst case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, stpitman said:

I think that's incorrect. I think we should always "assume" worst case.

In the real world, I agree.

For the exam, the review course I took (School of PE/check local listings) said if they don't tell you then assume free air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...