California Seismic and Survey to be offered year round?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They will be offerred quarterly starting April 2018 exam cycle.  However, you will now need to pass the 8 hr before attempting them.  I wonder if we will get grandfathered in, for example, i recently took all 3 parts this past October, and didn't pass the 8 hr, still waiting on my seismic and survey results.  In case I don't pass either of those, would I still not be able to take them until I pass my 8 hr or am I grandfathered in?  That's my question...

@CAPLS is generally pretty knowledgeable on these types of topics. Might be able to provide some additional insight.

They will be offerred quarterly starting April 2018 exam cycle.  However, you will now need to pass the 8 hr before attempting them.  I wonder if we will get grandfathered in, for example, i recently took all 3 parts this past October, and didn't pass the 8 hr, still waiting on my seismic and survey results.  In case I don't pass either of those, would I still not be able to take them until I pass my 8 hr or am I grandfathered in?  That's my question...
"The state-specific Civil Engineer exams (seismic principles and engineering surveying) are offered on a continuous quarterly basis starting with the quarter that begins on April 1, 2018. You will be authorized to sit for the exams in the quarter following the quarter in which your application is approved by the Board. You may sit for each exam once per quarter."

[SIZE=12.48px]If you meet the 2 years of experience with an approved application, then you can sit in on the CBT exams. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12.48px]Also, this information is found here:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12.48px]http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/applying_for_ce.shtml[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12.48px]Exam Schedule:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12.48px]http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/exam_schedule.shtml[/SIZE]

Question on these exams to past takers...

Now that the exams will be offered quarterly would you guys encourage me to take one exam at a time or just I attacked both at the same time?

I know is a silly question, considering most of you had to take all three (National + Seismic+Surveying) all around the same time...

but had you given this quarterly system, where now you don't have to wait each April and October, would you have spread them out? 

I took all three this past October. I passed the 8 hour. I'm still waiting on the results for Survey/Seismic. I would definitely take 8 hour and Survey together. There's a lot of overlap between the survey material and the transportation and construction questions on the 8 hour. Studying for survey definitely helped on the 8 hour.

I would take Seismic separately. Taking two is doable, but taking three really burns you out.

Don't take more than one exam per weekend. That way you're not burnt out. Take your PE exam the day it's administered, take the Seismic the week before, take the Surveying the week after. (I'd take whichever one you feel more confident on first, to boost your confidence and practice for the second one)

I passed the 8-hour already. This October. I'm now aiming at taking the seismic and surveying in April (or whenever is offered now with the quarterly changed lol)

So I guess is doable to take both around the same time...

Back