Failed Power PE score?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Failed with a 41/80...bombed system analysis 1/10 and then 1/6 on measurement and instrumentation. I struggled in the exam on basic voltage drop problems and i have no idea what material i could possibly use to study for measurement and instrumentation.

41/80 (first time taking).

I did poorly in General Power Engineering: Measurements & Instrumentation, General Power Engineering: Special Applications, Rotating Machines & Electromagnetic Devices: Rotating Machines, Rotating Machines & Electromagnetic Devices: Electromagnetic Devices, and Transmission & Distribution: Power system Performance.

I thought I would have done better at Circuit Analysis: Devices & Power Electronic Circuits.

I did leave expecting to fail due to how rough it was in the afternoon.

Going at it in April.

I failed in April. I got 65% after the curve (Texas gives you a score).

October, I passed with 78%

Don't get too discouraged. You will have the advantage of knowing what to expect the second time.

I failed in April. I got 65% after the curve (Texas gives you a score).

October, I passed with 78%

Don't get too discouraged. You will have the advantage of knowing what to expect the second time.
Congratulations.

What reference materials did you use?

Congratulations.

What reference materials did you use?
The official NCEES Practice Exam  - self explanatory. I believe they just released a new version of this in November, so you should get that.

Spin Up Practice Exams - Really easy problems, dont let this be a big part of your studies. Fine for going through early in the process, then move on to studying other things.

Complex Imaginary Practice Exams  - Easy, but better than spin up. Definitely recommend this. 4 full tests.

Electrical Power Full Practice Exam - http://www.engproguides.com/powerexam.html This is one practice exam that I'm glad I found. It's closer to being like the real exam than any other practice test i've seen (not counting the official ncees book)

The Electrical Engineer’s Guide to Passing the Power PE Exam, Alexander Graffeo - Highly recommend. This was the first book I bought and anyone who has ever used this will tell you to get it.

Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems, Theodore Wildi - Great book. I read and tabbed most of this book (the relevant chapters). Definitely helped answer a few problems during the exam.

Power System Analysis, Grainger, Stevenson - Another good book. I didn't read this, but it helped me answer a few problems during the real test too.

NEC - You'll need 2017 now.

NESC - I used the 2012 version. Self explanatory. You need this. I heard they added more code books for the 2018 exams too unfortunately.

Power Reference Manual  by Camara - This book is expensive and mostly useless, but I'd still recommend it because it's so large and has so much random information. You never know if you might find the answer to something in here by using the index. Good for a backup reference. I'd rather spend $200 to have this just in case, and then sell it later.

Last but not least, binders full of pdfs. I brought 2 binders full of pdfs I printed. When you look at the list of topics the NCEES gives you that are going to be on the test, make sure you have a reference for everything on that list. The two textbooks above cover a lot of it, as does Graffeo's book and the reference manual. But not everything will be in those books, and you cant buy a textbook for every subject. Print out pdfs for any topics you need help on. For example, when I worked practice problems and I couldn't find the answer in my references, I found a good pdf online and printed that out. In the end I had pdfs for topics like VFDs, Autotransformers, ground resistance testing, insulation testing, batteries, protection, paralleling transformers, paralleling generators, economics, ANSI, NEMA, reliability, and a lot more.

The official NCEES Practice Exam  - self explanatory. I believe they just released a new version of this in November, so you should get that.

Spin Up Practice Exams - Really easy problems, dont let this be a big part of your studies. Fine for going through early in the process, then move on to studying other things.

Complex Imaginary Practice Exams  - Easy, but better than spin up. Definitely recommend this. 4 full tests.

Electrical Power Full Practice Exam - http://www.engproguides.com/powerexam.html This is one practice exam that I'm glad I found. It's closer to being like the real exam than any other practice test i've seen (not counting the official ncees book)

The Electrical Engineer’s Guide to Passing the Power PE Exam, Alexander Graffeo - Highly recommend. This was the first book I bought and anyone who has ever used this will tell you to get it.

Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems, Theodore Wildi - Great book. I read and tabbed most of this book (the relevant chapters). Definitely helped answer a few problems during the exam.

Power System Analysis, Grainger, Stevenson - Another good book. I didn't read this, but it helped me answer a few problems during the real test too.

NESC - I used the 2012 version. Self explanatory. You need this. I heard they added more code books for the 2018 exams too unfortunately.

Power Reference Manual  by Camara - This book is expensive and mostly useless, but I'd still recommend it because it's so large and has so much random information. You never know if you might find the answer to something in here by using the index. Good for a backup reference. I'd rather spend $200 to have this just in case, and then sell it later.

Last but not least, binders full of pdfs. I brought 2 binders full of pdfs I printed. When you look at the list of topics the NCEES gives you that are going to be on the test, make sure you have a reference for everything on that list. The two textbooks above cover a lot of it, as does Graffeo's book and the reference manual. But not everything will be in those books, and you cant buy a textbook for every subject. Print out pdfs for any topics you need help on. For example, when I worked practice problems and I couldn't find the answer in my references, I found a good pdf online and printed that out. In the end I had pdfs for topics like VFDs, Autotransformers, ground resistance testing, insulation testing, batteries, protection, paralleling transformers, paralleling generators, economics, ANSI, NEMA, reliability, and a lot more.
Thank you so much for this information.  Really appreciate it.

Thankyou for your advice. I have taken the Camara, Graffeo, Complex Imaginary practice exams. Will surely buy the engpro power exam you recommended. Is their any other practice exams you recommend? 

Also in Wildi, what are the topics that came in most handy during the exam. 

Also, do you have a link to the PDFs you printed (if not, not a problem). Wanted to make sure if I haven't missed anything. 

Thanks again. 

Thankyou for your advice. I have taken the Camara, Graffeo, Complex Imaginary practice exams. Will surely buy the engpro power exam you recommended. Is their any other practice exams you recommend? 

Also in Wildi, what are the topics that came in most handy during the exam. 

Also, do you have a link to the PDFs you printed (if not, not a problem). Wanted to make sure if I haven't missed anything. 

Thanks again. 
I don't have them saved unfortunately. But I think this should be personalized anyways. What I did was google topics and look for pdfs (search "ground resistance testing pdf" for example). Make sure the pdf actually helps you answer questions during your practice exams, otherwise it will be useless during the test. See below for 2 of those pdfs I used. If I remember later, i'll look through my binders and see which pdfs I used, maybe I can get you more links. I don't have any other practice exam recommendations besides what I mentioned.

https://support.fluke.com/find-sales/Download/Asset/2633834_6115_ENG_A_W.PDF

http://www.facilitiesnet.com/whitepapers/pdfs/schneiderelectric_111711.pdf

Another question I have is,  I have Wildi and find the book to be informative and easy to read, but I have been contemplating whether to buy Grainger based on what you mentioned. I have glanced through the PDF, and did not find the book to be very appealing.   Do you think it will be worth  to buy the book?

Thanks  @navixv

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question I have is,  I have Wildi and find the book to be informative and easy to read, but I have been contemplating whether to buy Grainger based on what you mentioned. I have glanced through the PDF, and did not find the book to be very appealing.   Do you think it will be worth  to buy the book?

Thanks  @navixv
I did not read Grainger's book but I did use it as a reference during practice tests and the real test. It actually ended up helping me answer a few questions during the real test. I'd say it's worth it considering those questions could be the difference in passing or failing.

I did not read Grainger's book but I did use it as a reference during practice tests and the real test. It actually ended up helping me answer a few questions during the real test. I'd say it's worth it considering those questions could be the difference in passing or failing.
Thankyou @navixv

Back