Work Experience (How specific?)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engin3rd

Reaction score
Getting ready to submit my application for licensure. I noticed some of these questions are pretty specific with regards to explaining your role for your projects. The problem with this is, I am not at liberty to discuss the specifics of some of my projects. I don't want to violate any NDAs in place. I'm not quite sure how to tackle this? Maybe some advice from some of you who have been in a similar position as me?

The purpose of the application is to show your engineering experience. You do not need to disclose specifics like clients, projects, locations and partners. But you will need to show your role, your responsibilities, daily tasks, and any engineering-related experience you have earned. You may also want to contact your state board to see if it would be necessary to include a statement/cover letter/other from your company detailing the NDA and what you cannot disclose.

The challenge will be if disclosing who your supervisor (person signing off on your experience) is prohibited by the NDA, because you will need someone to endorse your experience who has knowledge of what you did.

I think you should be able to be general enough about your experience and, as others have said, still maintain the NDA. It may be helpful if you explain what you think you can't include. In my application (Pennsylvania here) I disclosed my client (PennDOT) a couple of times. But I could have easily just explained the particulars of what I did on certain projects without giving out that kind of information. 

After speaking with my fellow co-workers who have gone through this process. I believe I will be able to elaborate on my experiences without spilling the beans. I should probably get typing :D . Thanks for your responses!

The less you have, the more descriptive you need to be.

Back