First Time: Civil Transportation: FAILED

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle In WA

Reaction score
I didn't deserve to pass, didn't study near enough! Just wanted to let other non-passers know, you're not alone!

See ya in April.

You'll get it next time! Take a break, assess the damage, focus, and excel! You can and you WILL do it!

you'll get it next time!! enjoy the holiday break, then hit the books!

Thanks guys! I'm not feeling that bad as I can just blame my lack of studying on having 3 kids ;)

The crazy thing about the results getting released is it's either pure joy, or pure miserable defeat....no middle ground!

That's probably one of the best things about these boards: realizing you're not alone. I was there last spring, and now here I am with a "pass". A fail is merely a step towards ultimate success. Dust yourself off and kick that test's ass next time! 

I failed with a 69 first time taking it. I still remember 3 of the morning questions that I could have made easily but somehow screwed it up!!! Keep your head up dude, we will make it next time.

You know guys, and this is kinda like bad thing to say because after this, what do you tell people who are preparing to take this exam

but i don't feel like studying makes a real big difference, because i walked into that room not feeling prepared at all and while I did study...I don't feel like it was enough. Yet, I managed to pass...first time. 

A friend of mine studied so much, cancelled all weekend events like for the 2 months leading to the exam and he failed, second time.

I think it comes down to how good of a test taker you are...

For sure, this test doesn't determine how good of an engineer you are, because I've known smart people who've failed this test... 

You know guys, and this is kinda like bad thing to say because after this, what do you tell people who are preparing to take this exam

but i don't feel like studying makes a real big difference, because i walked into that room not feeling prepared at all and while I did study...I don't feel like it was enough. Yet, I managed to pass...first time. 

A friend of mine studied so much, cancelled all weekend events like for the 2 months leading to the exam and he failed, second time.

For sure, this test doesn't determine how good of an engineer you are, because I've known smart people who've failed this test... 
I would have to agree with you on this. And how lucky you get with the bank of questions given. I have taken it twice now and felt like I had a pretty good grasp on the topics. And yet here I am. 

I agree. I didn't study a single second for the FE and passed first try. I studied for the PE, but didn't sniff triple digits in hours studied. 

My biggest problem was I should have asked for accommodations for a standing desk, but didn't. I have hip problems and can't sit long. Like an idiot I thought I could tough it out. I left both sessions around 45+ minutes early because I was in so much pain I couldn't focus much. I think I might have squeaked by if I could have used all the time.

I agree. I failed the transportation exam as well and its my first time taking it. 

I agree with your last statement, but don't agree with saying studying does not have an effect on passing. I am fairly certain I would not have ever passed if I didn't study at all. However, I do think the quality of study can have an effect.

And what does being a good test taker mean? I have always been a good test taker until I took the PE exam for the first time. I never had problems taking tests in high school or college, and passed the FE exam a year ahead of schedule in my classes having even studied (paper based test at the time). Even in all three of the times I took the PE Exam, I considered myself a "good" test taker. I effectively got through all the questions and yes, guessed on whatever number of questions, but always had time to check my answers and complete the longer problems I'd left for the end. Yet I only passed the last time.

I do think that the exams play to certain depths each cycle, which could hurt people right on the bubble of passing or not (not that we ever truly know what the cut scores are). But I'm not sure this really has an overall effect on passing or failing.

Truly, it comes down to the person. Study however much you feel you need to pass, which varies for everyone. Make sure that when you do study, you are truly holding yourself accountable for the problems at hand, and not jumping to the solutions just because you are stuck. Most importantly, don't give up!

Back