Civil-Structrual

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engStruc

Reaction score
Congrats to everyone who passed.  :appl:

However I was unsuccessful with a score of 48/80. 

What's your failing score?

I failed civil/structural.....44/80....ugh. Congrats to those who passed.

@bflem I feel your pain...Sometimes I wonder if each State gets the same exam, or if the exams differ from State to State. I can recall that there were mostly ACI Concrete and AISC Steel related questions for me in the PM exam portion...

Keep your heads up, structurals! It's not an easy exam, no matter what anyone says.

I failed it twice before passing my third try. Don't give up!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the EET course and feel it was very helpful. I will be repeating it. This was my 5th time taking the PE. Took me 5 times to pass the FE. Took me 5 times to pass military advancement exams. I may not be the worlds worst test taker, but I've got to be near the bottom. That being said, I'm getting back on the horse and I am going to pass this exam. Is it demoralizing, yes, embarrassing, yes, character forging, yes, end of the world, no. Congrats again to those who passed, and to those that didn't, let's get back at it. 

I did the EET course and feel it was very helpful. I will be repeating it. This was my 5th time taking the PE. Took me 5 times to pass the FE. Took me 5 times to pass military advancement exams. I may not be the worlds worst test taker, but I've got to be near the bottom. That being said, I'm getting back on the horse and I am going to pass this exam. Is it demoralizing, yes, embarrassing, yes, character forging, yes, end of the world, no. Congrats again to those who passed, and to those that didn't, let's get back at it. 
These exams are physically hard on the mind and body as well. In the afternoon session I had a severe migraine, body fatigue, etc. 

Does it make you any less of an engineer?  NO!  For me passing the FE was a graduation REQUIREMENT.  I was the first person at my school who did not pass first try.  I got it done though.  Same with the PE - didn't pass first try, but got it done. I think I was lucky this time around - the afternoon hit right in my knowledge base.  Last time, half the questions were total WTF questions based on my life experience.  I now will also be the first person in my program to obtain my PE license. The degree is a general/multidisciplinary engineering degree, so most of my classmates went mechanical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it make you any less of an engineer?  NO!  For me passing the FE was a graduation REQUIREMENT.  I was the first person at my school who did not pass first try.  I got it done though.  Same with the PE - didn't pass first try, but got it done. I think I was lucky this time around - the afternoon hit right in my knowledge base.  Last time, half the questions were total WTF questions based on my life experience.  I now will also be the first person in my program to obtain my PE license. The degree is a general/multidisciplinary engineering degree, so most of my classmates went mechanical.
I agree with you, some of the questions are "either you know it or you don't" and some questions could have you looking into your reference materials for hours. 

I passed! Second time.

failed the first time. I took EET depth. Was veryyyyy helpful!
I passed also! First time. Also with EET depth.

I have mixed feeling about EET depth. I felt like EET depth was overwhelming and tried to cover too much, and at the end of the course I was still averaging 50% on all practice tests. I was so scared. (P.S. EET BREADTH 100% recommended! Was getting 70 to 80% on practice tests). But, at least for Oct '17, I do feel like the EET depth practice exam has the most topic similarity with the actual exam. EET, as a whole, obviously did enough for me.

Just got my diagnostic, I failed with a 45/80. 26 AM, 19 PM. Long way to go...

I passed also! First time. Also with EET depth.

I have mixed feeling about EET depth. I felt like EET depth was overwhelming and tried to cover too much, and at the end of the course I was still averaging 50% on all practice tests. I was so scared. (P.S. EET BREADTH 100% recommended! Was getting 70 to 80% on practice tests). But, at least for Oct '17, I do feel like the EET depth practice exam has the most topic similarity with the actual exam. EET, as a whole, obviously did enough for me.
I thought the EET structural depth definitely goes into more detail on several topics than I think is 100% necessary, but I don't fault them for that. You never know if part of any of those topics will appear on a test question.

I also agree that the EET structural depth practice exam was killer. At least, it was when I took it in April 2017. I'm pretty sure the class average was somewhere around 50%, and I was right around that average. But, hey! I passed. And I do attribute a lot of that to EET helping keep myself accountable and provide me with excellent guidance and references.

I'm about to take the Civil-Structural  PE this spring (in 10 days) and am taking the EET Depth and Breadth Review, I agree their practice exam that we just did over the weekend felt killer, the average for the structural depth was 53%. I got a 77.5% (31/40) but I guessed on 7 problems and happened to get 3 of them right, so I'm considering my real score 70% (28/40). But I'm feeling good on the morning, I did the NCEES morning practice exam last week and got 39/40 in 2 hours, and did EET's morning practice and got 38/40 and was't rushed, I just wanna brush up my weak areas on the depth in the next week.

Back