Oct 2017 Cut Score?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ LOL

66a28cfff1650d7e7d7ade8833548254--comment-memes-picture-comments.jpg

its different for all tests

if you need a ballpark, past threads from other cycles discuss this ad nauseam

it's a number definitely above 56/80

its different for all tests

if you need a ballpark, past threads from other cycles discuss this ad nauseam

it's a number definitely above 56/80
Here we go with the bad information.  Yes it varies from PE discipline to discipline but it also changes form administration to administration.  So looking at past administrations has no worth.  And no it is not "a number definitely above 56/86".  56 could be a very reasonable passing score. 

Of course everyone is curious. But trying to figure it out is an exercise in futility. ;)
It is possible knight.  I remember the cut score from my exam.  ;)

But the way the OP started this thread is not the way to determine any one cut score. 

If broken out by PE discipline, and if (and only if) enough examinees report their failing score, then it can be logically concluded that the highest failing score plus one was the lowest passing score (for that particular discipline). 

It’s pointless for me since I took the Environmental Exam, and it was 100 questions. And no one takes that exam. 

It kind of sucks that the exam is going to 80 questions next year, and then computer-based in 2019. Hope NCEES kept that in mind when determining the cut score for the Evidonmental exam this cycle. Hey, we can all be delusional, right?

It is possible knight.

then it can be logically concluded that the highest failing score plus one was the lowest passing score (for that particular discipline). 
Yes, but not with 100% accuracy (albeit close). The method of deduction will get you close like you said, and only if a certain number of examinees respond accordingly. However, this still will not lead one to how the actual official cut score is calculated by NCEES and NCEES alone. :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but not with 100% accuracy (albeit close). The method of deduction will get you close like you said, and only if a certain number of examinees respond accordingly. However, this still will not lead one to how the actual official cut score is calculated by NCEES and NCEES alone. :thumbs:
All I know is when I passed, I most likely passed with the lowest possible passing score. 

You know the old Q&A expression: "What do you call a student who got all Cs in med school?  Doctor."

Well, what do you call an examinee who just barely passed the P&P Exam?  Profession Engineer. 

That's all that matters, right?  ;)  

Here we go with the bad information.  Yes it varies from PE discipline to discipline but it also changes form administration to administration.  So looking at past administrations has no worth.  And no it is not "a number definitely above 56/86".  56 could be a very reasonable passing score. 
56 usually passes. Except for that time when it didn't. Check this thread. 56/80 failed civil/geotech that cycle.

I remember it well.  My best friend got a 56 on the Transpo exam that cycle.  But Apothe said "[the cut score is] a number definitely above 56/80"  That is not true. 

Back