TFS- Failed again. 2nd time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GR8 PLUMENG

Reaction score
Not again! Second time taking TFS and failed. Am thinking about switching to HVAC. 

I am but I haven’t done very complex systems designs. I do mostly plumbing and fp. The HVAC ive done is mostly straight forward designs, fans and split systems. 

How did you feel about the HVAC questions on the exam? Just speaking for myself, I feel I got every HVAC question right when I took it last October.

I think that could be a pretty good gauge to see if HVAC might end up being better next time.

@andy10889, what materials did you use for to prepare for the HVAC, and have you ever worked in HVAC industry?

Thanks in advance.

@andy10889, what materials did you use for to prepare for the HVAC, and have you ever worked in HVAC industry?

Thanks in advance.
I used

Engineering Pro Guides study guide (BUY THIS and add to it)

ASHRAE books ( the main 4)

NCEES and SMS tests

HVAC equations, data, and rules of thumb

Unit conversions

I work in consulting and do a bunch of everything.  Some HVAC and some design. The HVAC test for me was much simpler.  Less to remember and easier to understand.

My confidence level in HVAC design is not that strong. Hence choosing TFS. Like I said, i mostly do Plumbing and very simple HVAC. But I do understand the fundamentals. Dont really feel comfortable with the ASHRAE books but i guess its time to get comfortable.

A big part of the HVAC exam is psychometrics and the vapor compression cycle. If you think you could master those, with your plumbing and light HVAC experience you might find the HVAC to be better suited for you. 

Back