Cyber Monday

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey @knight1fox3 - find me a sub $600 deal on a gaming desktop (don't care about actual gaming presently, but it would be nice...)!  Intel/Nvidia combo, preferably.  I missed a screaming deal last week that I thought was all weekend long, but wasn't :(  

Current desktop is 8 years old and about to take a dump.

Hey @knight1fox3 - find me a sub $600 deal on a gaming desktop (don't care about actual gaming presently, but it would be nice...)!  Intel/Nvidia combo, preferably.  I missed a screaming deal last week that I thought was all weekend long, but wasn't :(  

Current desktop is 8 years old and about to take a dump.
Why not just build it? I'm not a fan of the pre-assembled variety because with it being in the $600 range, it's going to have **** components that are generally purchased in bulk. If you're interested in that route, let me know and I can spec out all the parts. Up to you if you would want me to assemble/test and ship to you.

Why not just build it? I'm not a fan of the pre-assembled variety because with it being in the $600 range, it's going to have **** components that are generally purchased in bulk. If you're interested in that route, let me know and I can spec out all the parts. Up to you if you would want me to assemble/test and ship to you.
This was the one I missed out on.  Only thing I know was a turd in it is the power supply.  I more or less need a plug and play solution, I just don't have the time at this point unless you think its something I can put together in an afternoon.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747W15QL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

so I got a pretty decent deal on some things. $150 for an Echo Plus and a Dot. And $500 for an Xbox One S, cooling tower, extra controller, kinect sensor and about 4 or 5 games

This was the one I missed out on.  Only thing I know was a turd in it is the power supply.  I more or less need a plug and play solution, I just don't have the time at this point unless you think its something I can put together in an afternoon.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747W15QL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
The issues I see with just reading the Amazon info (or lack thereof): 

• No mention of motherboard manufacturer and/or specs - this is the foundation of any good PC, and with a turd mobo, all problems/performance issues will stem from here
  • No mention of memory manufacture and/or specs - 16GB is quickly becoming the defacto standard for a good amount of basic memory
  • RX 580 is a good video card, but meh on performance - again, no mention on the specs other than video buffer size being 4GB
  • No solid state drive for that price is a definite face-palm - the 1TB is nice for storage, but there are SO many more options now for much faster and more efficient drive performance
  • As you said, no mention of the power supply specifics
  • Bottom line, seems flashy on the outside, but "meh" on the inside
Are you open to the option of me quoting something and building it for you? I generally can build a gamer rig in a single evening after dinner. But I have a fairly functional workshop and all the necessary tools to make this an easy task for me. If you still want to go the pre-fab route, I'll look around to see if anything catches my eye where I can see the specs of all components.

The issues I see with just reading the Amazon info (or lack thereof): 

• No mention of motherboard manufacturer and/or specs - this is the foundation of any good PC, and with a turd mobo, all problems/performance issues will stem from here
  • No mention of memory manufacture and/or specs - 16GB is quickly becoming the defacto standard for a good amount of basic memory
  • RX 580 is a good video card, but meh on performance - again, no mention on the specs other than video buffer size being 4GB
  • No solid state drive for that price is a definite face-palm - the 1TB is nice for storage, but there are SO many more options now for much faster and more efficient drive performance
  • As you said, no mention of the power supply specifics
  • Bottom line, seems flashy on the outside, but "meh" on the inside
Are you open to the option of me quoting something and building it for you? I generally can build a gamer rig in a single evening after dinner. But I have a fairly functional workshop and all the necessary tools to make this an easy task for me. If you still want to go the pre-fab route, I'll look around to see if anything catches my eye where I can see the specs of all components.
Fire away, you've got my info!  Remember, my baseline is an 8 year old Dell, which like myself, has trouble waking up.

Edit: Do include a cheapie optical drive in it, please.  Need a way to install our completely legal, totally legitimate copy of Photoshop and convert some CD's to MP3's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a Chromebook in the $300 range? It's for my future MIL, who doesn't need anything fancy, just something functional and new.

Also, my friend has started a seasonal packing position with Amazon, and she's started doing a little IG story series about the things she packs everyday. She usually highlights what she packed the most of, and what the weirdest thing she packed was. It's pretty funny!

Also, my friend has started a seasonal packing position with Amazon, and she's started doing a little IG story series about the things she packs everyday. She usually highlights what she packed the most of, and what the weirdest thing she packed was. It's pretty funny!
You can't leave us hanging like that...do tell.

We bought an Eero. I was skeptical because as I told Mr. YMZ, "An excellent wireless network isn't going to make our shitty broadband connection any better." I'm eating my words now (silently) as I'm in a former dead zone that now has lightning fast speed.

HE'S GRINNING AT ME FROM THE KITCHEN LIKE A CHESHIRE CAT NOW AND ASKING HOW THE INTERNET SPEED IS. Ugh.

He just texted me to announce that the bathroom now has excellent signal from the "Skynet Global Defense Network" (our new network name). 

lucille-portable.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
He just texted me to announce that the bedroom now has excellent signal from the "Skynet Global Defense Network" (our new network name). 
This SSID name is KFox approved! :thumbs:

Mine is "The Cortex". I trust you'll know what that means and what it's from. ;)

^ Nice! Also you caught me before my edit - he actually texted me from the potty but me being so prim and proper subconsciously typed "bedroom".

Back