Random Topics 3.1 - Page 65 - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Road Guy

Random Topics 3.1

23 hours ago, mudpuppy said:

How big is your unit?

Shouldn't you at least buy him lunch before asking this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At least a smoke and a pancake or something

Edited by chart94
  • fudgey 1

It is a small unit only 7MVA 

37 minutes ago, chart94 said:

As long as it gets the job done, amirite?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chart94 said:

That's not small...that's average size.  

Damn all these penis / size matters / posts and@CSB is camping out in Nebraska somewhere.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

well, it WAS referred to as a small unit..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, wilheldp_PE said:

That's not small...that's average size.  

Comparatively considering some of the transmission style units which are a lot bigger. For dist. design, yeah I guess about average, but we are moving towards larger units at a lot of places. 

Edited by chart94

3 hours ago, chart94 said:

Comparatively considering some of the transmission style units which are a lot bigger. For dist. design, yeah I guess about average, but we are moving towards larger units at a lot of places. 

Thank you for seriously answering my dick joke.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wilheldp_PE said:

Thank you for seriously answering my dick joke.

Yeah... I was a bit slow today in seeing you were making that joke too. Lol my bad

Tuna can man.

• fudgey 1

2 hours ago, Audi driver, P.E. said:

Tuna can man.

RXiY6iHWI7Vx.jpg

Seemed to work fine for Figaroa & Caputo...

Correction, Caputo was known as Beer Can in high school, not Tuna can..

• Like 1

Ugh.  Pretty sure I got over-charged for repairing the springs for my parents garage ($600 total, after tax), but the garage actually opens now, the guy had all the parts, and he got it done in under 2-hours.  Even mentioned that the previously installed springs were under-sized, so, eh.  I'm just happy he came when he said he would and I can just work a few hours OT to make up for the price.  Still.  Oof.  Not sure if I want to be a homeowner if that's the low-end of how much things cost.  😖

12 minutes ago, JayKay0914 said:

Ugh.  Pretty sure I got over-charged for repairing the springs for my parents garage ($600 total, after tax), but the garage actually opens now, the guy had all the parts, and he got it done in under 2-hours.  Even mentioned that the previously installed springs were under-sized, so, eh.  I'm just happy he came when he said he would and I can just work a few hours OT to make up for the price.  Still.  Oof.  Not sure if I want to be a homeowner if that's the low-end of how much things cost.  😖

Pricing is probably different where you are,  but $600 sounds pretty steep. When we had this problem a couple years ago we were charged $200 for replacement parts + labor; took about the same amount of time.

OTOH, repairing springs is not something you want to do yourself, unless you have a death wish...

Edited by ChebyshevII_PE
  • Like 2
  • fudgey 1

14 minutes ago, JayKay0914 said:

I think a spring replacement for a 2 car door, residential was about 300 with late night repair  for me. So I guess maybe not crazy high? 

EDIT. it was 300 for full replacement of both springs, with the late night fee, so probably a bit steep. 

Edited by tj_PE

2 minutes ago, tj_PE said:

I think a spring replacement for a 2 car door, residential was about 300 with late night repair  for me. So I guess maybe not crazy high? 

EDIT. it was 300 for full replacement of both springs, with the late night fee, so probably a bit steep. 

Late night repair might be a factor too. In our case, I was still able to open the garage door manually so we could park the cars in the driveway, so we didn’t have to deal with urgent repairs. I can see why it might be necessary in a bigger city, though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChebyshevII_PE said:

Late night repair might be a factor too. In our case, I was still able to open the garage door manually so we could park the cars in the driveway, so we didn’t have to deal with urgent repairs. I can see why it might be necessary in a bigger city, though.

I was in a townhouse (no driveway or street parking bc HOA) and also living alone and I just wanted it done LOL

Edited by tj_PE
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, tj_PE said:

Yeah, it was $600 repair for everything (2 springs + center bearing) for a 2-car residential.  No late night repair, but we do have a really heavy door.  We couldn't open the door manually unless we had like 3-people heaving/puffing and it slammed shut.  Oh well, I'm chalking it up to expensive LI/NYC pricing and I'll learn to never own my own garage in the future.  Aka: JK should shop more around, but when google has a 4.9 star review I'll just pay the extra so they don't rob/rape me.

31 minutes ago, JayKay0914 said:

Yeah, it was $600 repair for everything (2 springs + center bearing) for a 2-car residential.  No late night repair, but we do have a really heavy door.  We couldn't open the door manually unless we had like 3-people heaving/puffing and it slammed shut.  Oh well, I'm chalking it up to expensive LI/NYC pricing and I'll learn to never own my own garage in the future.  Aka: JK should shop more around, but when google has a 4.9 star review I'll just pay the extra so they don't rob/rape me.

hey, peace of mind is of value!! I think that's what you were thinking it would cost, anyway! and it's fixed!

1 minute ago, tj_PE said:

hey, peace of mind is of value!! I think that's what you were thinking it would cost, anyway! and it's fixed!

Not going to lie, I'd like it to have been cheaper (maybe $400), but that's all on me not looking around and grabbing the first place that popped on my phone (plus not wanting to have multiple rounds of estimates/paying for guys for service calls).  Eh, what's done is done and I think I'm lucky to be in the position of that being the only thing I can complain about.  

• Like 1

My neighbors paid $500 for the main spring that runs parallel the top of the garage door so probably not too far out there - Anytime I have had anyone come deal with garage door parts it gets expensive..

1 hour ago, JayKay0914 said:

Aka: JK should shop more around, but when google has a 4.9 star review I'll just pay the extra so they don't rob/rape me.

That went dark and depressing pretty fast.