Anyone here planning to take PE machine design in April 2018

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineer_562

Reaction score
hello Engineers,

Please let me know if someone is taking PE machine design in April? Or if there is any group?

We can discuss and prepare together to do better in the exam.

thanks

I'm having a hard time deciding which to take, as my job (natural gas reciprocating compression) consists of both MDM and TFS subjects, but I do plan to sit for the exam in April 2018. I feel like I'm pretty even keeled on both subjects. If I decide to go the MDM route, I'll follow up with you. I plan to take the Testmasters course in March as well. I've taken it for the FE and found it was pretty helpful in helping me stay on a routine. My company pays for it as well, so that helps.

I'll be taking it again if I failed this October... I'll find out in December! 

I'm having a hard time deciding which to take, as my job (natural gas reciprocating compression) consists of both MDM and TFS subjects, but I do plan to sit for the exam in April 2018. I feel like I'm pretty even keeled on both subjects. If I decide to go the MDM route, I'll follow up with you. I plan to take the Testmasters course in March as well. I've taken it for the FE and found it was pretty helpful in helping me stay on a routine. My company pays for it as well, so that helps.
If you go MDM I have both the practice test from NCEES. 2016 and 2011 (?) for sale (both written in)

hello Engineers,

Please let me know if someone is taking PE machine design in April? Or if there is any group?

We can discuss and prepare together to do better in the exam.

thanks
Hello there... well I just found out I failed MDM again so, I may be taking again in April '18... haven't decided yet.

Jvanoye,

If you don't mind, do you have any feedback on focus areas? I understand you can't disclose details, but were there any particular areas you felt you've could of focused more on? Was there a balance of machine design and materials, or did it appear to be heavier on one topic than the other? I'm taking the Testmasters course in March as it helped me with the FE exam. I've also had good feedback from some who've taken it in prep for the PE as well. I want to start chipping away at the material now so that I can do a thorough review prior to the exam.

I passed MDM this October 2017! I have PDFs of material I found useful that I'm happy to share in a secure file transfer -- google drive? Other methods? You'd then print it out and put it in a binder.

Jvanoye,

If you don't mind, do you have any feedback on focus areas? I understand you can't disclose details, but were there any particular areas you felt you've could of focused more on? Was there a balance of machine design and materials, or did it appear to be heavier on one topic than the other? I'm taking the Testmasters course in March as it helped me with the FE exam. I've also had good feedback from some who've taken it in prep for the PE as well. I want to start chipping away at the material now so that I can do a thorough review prior to the exam.
Hello,

Below is a snapshot of my diagnostic report, the highlighted areas are the ones I feel I need to focus on, unfortunately, with the exception of Economics and Material Properties, MERM doesn't seem to be of much help with these subjects. Correlate these focus areas to the exam outline that NCEES puts out for MDM and you'll see what I mean:

Capture.PNG

Neither PPI nor Dr. Tom were of much help in these areas either. I need to pick up 6-8 more points for the next round and not quite sure what area would be of most benefit to me, I welcome any comments you or others may have. The column on the far right shows the change from last time.

Good luck in April !

I failed the MDM with a 49/80 back in April. Keep going!

I had to change to HVAC to finally pass.

I'm planning to take the Machine Design and Materials in April 2018. I just studied for and passed the FE a few weeks ago, so I should have a good foundation going in since I've been out of school for 11 years.

Sbookref, I'll send you a PM about your PDF materials, thanks.

Hello,

Below is a snapshot of my diagnostic report, the highlighted areas are the ones I feel I need to focus on, unfortunately, with the exception of Economics and Material Properties, MERM doesn't seem to be of much help with these subjects. Correlate these focus areas to the exam outline that NCEES puts out for MDM and you'll see what I mean:

View attachment 10512

Neither PPI nor Dr. Tom were of much help in these areas either. I need to pick up 6-8 more points for the next round and not quite sure what area would be of most benefit to me, I welcome any comments you or others may have. The column on the far right shows the change from last time.

Good luck in April !
It looks like you could pick up all eight points in Mechanical Components: is there a reason you haven't decided to focus there for your future studying? I found that Shigley was an invaluable resource for these types of problems, especially when I was studying. While I had a passing understanding of gears etc. from college, I couldn't remember everything that I needed to know in order to answer questions in 6 minutes or less. By studying basics in Shigley (such as what an involute is - while this isn't tested directly the background knowledge helped) I felt more comfortable going into these types of questions. There's also a good chapter on Welding in Shigley that does a good job breaking down welding callouts, which I found useful in studying as well as on the test. Finally, the info in Shigley on journal bearings and bearings in general was a necessary supplement (for me) to what is found in MERM. Bottom line: without Shigley I'm not sure that I would have passed.

I think spending some time learning Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) can help with the Basic Engineering Practice stuff, as well as spending some time doing stack-up analysis on engineering drawings. This is usually pretty fun to do, and if you can get away with doing this at work so much the better.

It looks like you could pick up all eight points in Mechanical Components: is there a reason you haven't decided to focus there for your future studying? I found that Shigley was an invaluable resource for these types of problems, especially when I was studying. While I had a passing understanding of gears etc. from college, I couldn't remember everything that I needed to know in order to answer questions in 6 minutes or less. By studying basics in Shigley (such as what an involute is - while this isn't tested directly the background knowledge helped) I felt more comfortable going into these types of questions. There's also a good chapter on Welding in Shigley that does a good job breaking down welding callouts, which I found useful in studying as well as on the test. Finally, the info in Shigley on journal bearings and bearings in general was a necessary supplement (for me) to what is found in MERM. Bottom line: without Shigley I'm not sure that I would have passed.

I think spending some time learning Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) can help with the Basic Engineering Practice stuff, as well as spending some time doing stack-up analysis on engineering drawings. This is usually pretty fun to do, and if you can get away with doing this at work so much the better.
Hello ezzie...I think you're on point. Rather than spending a lot of time on the peripheral stuff, I need to focus on the "meat and potatoes" of the exam. I will definitely spend more time looking through Shigley's to strengthen my knowledge of mechanical components.

With respect to GD&T, is there a guide you can recommend?

Regards,

JV

I passed MDM this October 2017! I have PDFs of material I found useful that I'm happy to share in a secure file transfer -- google drive? Other methods? You'd then print it out and put it in a binder.
Thanks for the offer sbrookef!!... I will set up a Google drive location and will contact you separately.

Hello ezzie...I think you're on point. Rather than spending a lot of time on the peripheral stuff, I need to focus on the "meat and potatoes" of the exam. I will definitely spend more time looking through Shigley's to strengthen my knowledge of mechanical components.

With respect to GD&T, is there a guide you can recommend?

Regards,

JV
Unfortunately, I don't know of any good freely available guides as I have never had a need for one. In my first job out of college my manager tasked me with setting up a training for myself and the rest of the engineering team, so I worked with a company to do a 1-day training for all of us. It was extremely helpful. Perhaps you can find a similar class/training local to your area to attend? Of course, it will not be free, but in my opinion having GD&T knowledge is essential for anything but the most simple of engineering drawings.

I will be taking Machine design Mechanical PE April 2018. I have PE reference Manual and old notes.

I'm planning to take the Machine Design and Materials in April 2018. I just studied for and passed the FE a few weeks ago, so I should have a good foundation going in since I've been out of school for 11 years.

Sbookref, I'll send you a PM about your PDF materials, thanks.
Took the FE in February and PE in October (Passed!) so that is definitely a good idea. There will be a lot of frustration over the course of the next few weeks, but once everything starts going right it will feel fantastic!

I will be taking the MDM PE exam in April 2018. I am 6 years out of college and I work in Industrial machine design.

I took the FE this past September and figured that I may as well keep pushing and take the PE as soon as possible. While not necessary at my current position, I feel that being a PE could open up more opportunities for me in the future.

I have spent the last day coming up with a study plan..

I plan to use the following reference materials:

- MERM

- Lindburg practice problems

- Lindburg unit conversions

- Shiglys machine design

- NCEES practice exam.

- Old materials science book from college

- Machinery handbook

I plan to use the ppi study schedule to focus on chapters that the test will cover. I will study each chapter in the MERM, then do the corresponding practice problems in the separate practice problem book (2-3 months). After covering all the chapters I will take the NCEES practice test. When I bomb that, I will go back and study the areas I was weakest in (last couple weeks before the exam)...  This is essentially the strategy I used for the FE, so I guess ill try the same thing.

Any pointers from all you veterans out there?

congratulations Sbrookef,

Iwant to take the PE exam 2018 please share me your pdf materials.

[email protected]

I will be taking the MDM PE exam in April 2018. I am 6 years out of college and I work in Industrial machine design.

I took the FE this past September and figured that I may as well keep pushing and take the PE as soon as possible. While not necessary at my current position, I feel that being a PE could open up more opportunities for me in the future.

- MERM

- Shiglys machine design

- NCEES practice exam.

- Machinery handbook

I plan to use the ppi study schedule to focus on chapters that the test will cover. I will study each chapter in the MERM, then do the corresponding practice problems in the separate practice problem book (2-3 months). After covering all the chapters I will take the NCEES practice test. When I bomb that, I will go back and study the areas I was weakest in (last couple weeks before the exam)...  This is essentially the strategy I used for the FE, so I guess ill try the same thing.

Hi Kloeb222.  I just passed the MDM of October 17' - first time taker.  I used a pretty similar strategy and it worked out well.  I felt pretty comfortable with my performance.  You will not need the machinery handbook and maybe will feel overwhelmed  with the difficulty of Lindeburg practice problems.  It's OK, go for it with confidence.  Best of luck.  Shigley's is a must. Eat that book.

Thank you for the words of encouragement Sebas and congratulations on passing! 

- MERM

- Shiglys machine design

- NCEES practice exam.

- Machinery handbook

Back