Release Date

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal91

Reaction score
The paper Prometric gave me after I took the exams reads "The board will post the release date of the examination results online at: www.bpelsg.ca.gov"

Is this giving the release date new? I thought the release date always anyone's best guess, not a known date to wait for. I'm wondering if we'll get our results before NCEES releases the PE exam results now that the exam is decoupled?

I'm not following you.  How is "The board will post the release date of the examination results online at: www.bpelsg.ca.gov" providing you with a known release date? 

But, yes, you should be getting your state exam results before NCEES releases the national results.  It's been that way for a year or so as far as I know. 

The statement does not say "The board will post examination results". They say "They board will post the release date of the examination results".

So at some date prior to actually releasing results, they are going to tell us exactly what date we fill get our results.

Hypothetical Example: 

November 13th the board releases the following statement: "The examination results will be released December 4th".

I guess in the end it doesn't matter. I'll find out when I find out. I just hate being patient is all.

But, yes, you should be getting your state exam results before NCEES releases the national results.  It's been that way for a year or so as far as I know. 
I disagree. In the three test cycles (April 2016, October 2016, and April 2017) I took the PE exam (the first two involved the state exams), all state exam results came after CA had released the national PE exam results.

Last edited by a moderator:
The statement does not say "The board will post examination results". They say "They board will post the release date of the examination results".

So at some date prior to actually releasing results, they are going to tell us exactly what date we fill get our results.

Hypothetical Example: 

November 13th the board releases the following statement: "The examination results will be released December 4th".

I guess in the end it doesn't matter. I'll find out when I find out. I just hate being patient is all.
I think what that might mean is that the board will post when the results have been released. That's, at least, what I have seen in the past. Perhaps it has changed. Only time will tell.

Hypothetical Example: 

I see what you are saying.  I guess it depends how much in advance of the release date they list the upcoming release date as to how useful it is. 

I disagree. In the three test cycles (April 2016, October 2016, and April 2017) I took the PE exam (the first two involved the state exams), all state exam results came after CA had released the national PE exam results.
You'd know better than me but I thought what I read from others on here is that the Board stopped waiting for the National results to be distributed before distributing the state results (something they used to always do). 

You'd know better than me but I thought what I read from others on here is that the Board stopped waiting for the National results to be distributed before distributing the state results (something they used to always do). 
I think this might be the case starting next exam cycle, but as of October 2016, they were still linked as the seismic and surveying results were released to you via a locked pdf (password provided in a separate email) that has a little table listing the four examinations (NCEES PE exam, CA seismic, CA surveying, and take home ethics exam) and what your "current status" (achieved vs. pending) was.

This couldn't be filled out properly until the board had released the PE exam results. In the two times I dealt with this, I believe the results of the state exams came a day (or maybe two) after the PE exam.

Again, I predict this will change at least starting next exam cycle, as the state exams will no longer be tied to the same time period the PE exam is offered.

The link between national exam results and California state exam results was officially severed with the release of the Spring 2017 exam results.  The results and the release date is now entirely independent of the other process.

The Board posts the date for releasing the results as a way to inform everyone that results were released to the candidates.  Sometimes, candidates don't receive the results (by email) for a variety of reasons and this is a blanket way for making sure everyone that cares, knows.  If email results are returned undeliverable, then results are mailed the old-fashioned way.

The link between national exam results and California state exam results was officially severed with the release of the Spring 2017 exam results.  The results and the release date is now entirely independent of the other process.

The Board posts the date for releasing the results as a way to inform everyone that results were released to the candidates.  Sometimes, candidates don't receive the results (by email) for a variety of reasons and this is a blanket way for making sure everyone that cares, knows.  If email results are returned undeliverable, then results are mailed the old-fashioned way.
Does this suggest that the results of the California specific exams would be released prior to the national exam results? (Assuming that the state specific are graded quicker due to the fact they are administered electronically.)

Does this suggest that the results of the California specific exams would be released prior to the national exam results? (Assuming that the state specific are graded quicker due to the fact they are administered electronically.)
You would think so, but in April the results were released the same day as the national exam. "Decoupled" or not I'm guessing the same will happen this time around.

it could be before or after.  Completely independent release.

Received this e-mail from the Board at 9:55am this morning.  It does say that the state exams are not available yet (but I suspect we're close).  :)  

Results from the October 2017 NCEES engineering examinations will be released on
December 4, 2017. Candidates should check their email for the message from NCEES. The
results from the ASBOG geology and the California state-specific engineering, surveying,
geology, and geophysics examinations are not yet available. The California Board for
Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists will update this mailing list and
its website at http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov when they are released.

My guess is the same, it won't be sooner than end of this week.

CA has emailed the results for the CA state Land Surveyors exam out per their website, so that means we still have no idea when they will release the Seismic and Surveying results. 

:p  

Back