Geotech Depth Difficulty October 2017

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
October 2017 exam broke the trend of NCEES practice exam being most representative to the real exam itself . This year question difficulty level of Geotech was another level.

it was difficult and the simple questions were very tricky. 

Glad to hear I am not alone...it was not what I expected and I thought I was well prepared.

Glad I googled to find this board because I know I'm not alone in my feelings on it. The practice exams and materials (six minute solutions, etc) weren't even close to what was covered.

Even the PPI's Civil PE Practice Exam looks easier than this year exam question. And irony is I was complaining here about the difficulty level of Civil PE Practice Examination. If NCEES holds their cut off score at 70% this year too, then that would be very unfortunate.

How often do questions get thrown out in an instance like this? Clearly NCEES missed the mark if so many weren't prepared. 

Idk, but it aggravates me when I think about all the time and effort (not to mention money) I put into preparing for the test...and I still left discouraged!

Ugh, sorry to hear this, geotech's! It will be interesting to see what the passing rates are for this test cycle.

And keep your heads up! I'd be very surprised if none of you, who don't feel great about the exam, end up passing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll add in that my wife took the Geotech afternoon as well and is really questioning her performance.  She has mentioned nearly every question was nothing like she had dealt with in her studies.  There were a few that really caught her off guard.

Everyone will see in 4-6 weeks (if the last grading cycle is of any standard); so keep your heads up high, enjoy the fact you aren't having to study right now and enjoy some R&R!

I'll add in that my wife took the Geotech afternoon as well and is really questioning her performance.  She has mentioned nearly every question was nothing like she had dealt with in her studies.  There were a few that really caught her off guard.

Everyone will see in 4-6 weeks (if the last grading cycle is of any standard); so keep your heads up high, enjoy the fact you aren't having to study right now and enjoy some R&R!
Yea I'm fine with curve balls, but when NCEES tells me what topics to study, and every practice material I have is 80% different than what's on the test, sorry NCEES, but that isn't my bad for not studying properly, that's a poorly written test. I hope they can see that the test was garbage, but who knows.

One of the NCEES joke was like that!
Hey Mohican! Please be careful about what you post here regarding exam questions and remember your nondisclosure agreement you signed with NCEES. They do review these boards and we don't want anyone to get into trouble.

I edited your post to delete the possibly suspect information. Hence why it appears as it does now.

In the future, (and this applies to everyone!) try not to post any specific information from any exam questions, even if it is from memory. Better safe than sorry!

you might not want to post details...just sayin!
I'm sorry I went overboard.

But now I know the meaning of this fine print from specification " The knowledge areas specified as examples of kinds of knowledge are not exclusive or exhaustive categories "

Back