Help with a constant tension spring build

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael21

Reaction score
I am trying to invent a product that revolves around a device with a constant tension spring.  What I need is something that works similar to a retractable lanyard that has locking points as it extends.  It would need to be as compact as possible (as to be worn without bulkiness or much weight), able to constantly securely hold a 10-15 pound load, extend with minimal effort (as possible with the 10-15 pound secure tension), lock in place maybe every 2-3 inches, have an easy accessible latch/button to remove locking and retract the 10-15 pound load, and it would only need to extend maybe 1.5-2 meters.

I do not have any experience with similar devices and am trying to get started.  Does anyone have any ideas to build something like this, or something that already exists that I can model after or experiment with(cheaply)?  I have thought about the retractable key chains - which don't have a heavy enough load capacity, seat belts - which do have a locking capability but not exactly what I'm looking for, and finally retractable extension cord dispensers- which seems to fit the bill other than the load capacity.  

Any help, guidance, or ideas would be much appreciated.

Back