Stuff to bring to test

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwantthatPE

Reaction score
Hi all! Do we bring all materials in the morning and then just leave them inside while we break for lunch? Or do we bring our Breadth references in the am, then Depth references in the pm? Thanks in advanced 

Hi all! Do we bring all materials in the morning and then just leave them inside while we break for lunch? Or do we bring our Breadth references in the am, then Depth references in the pm? Thanks in advanced 
Bring it all (AM/PM material to the AM).  You can leave it at your seat during lunch break.  The paranoia in me took my most valuables (read: calculator) with me to lunch but you can leave all your stuff at your AM seat when you break for lunch.  Good luck!  

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what ptatohed said. Though I left my calculators (I had a backup) at my table. I'd consider it pretty unlikely that someone would take that, but I suppose it would be very unfortunate if someone did!

Possibly a silly question, but I'll ask anyway... 

With the PE Exam being open book, and requiring several reference books etc,  are backpacks allowed? I've read that the testing facility nearest me (Salem, OR) does not have secure lockers or anything, and while I'm not bringing a wheelbarrow full of books, it is more than a handful to carry it all, plus calculators, ruler, binders etc... I saw a pic somewhere of a clear storage bin. Is that a requirement rather than a backpack for security reasons etc?

How have folks brought in their reference books? Thanks in advance for those who have taken the PE before and can offer first-hand experience.

With the PE Exam being open book, and requiring several reference books etc,  are backpacks allowed? I've read that the testing facility nearest me (Salem, OR) does not have secure lockers or anything, and while I'm not bringing a wheelbarrow full of books, it is more than a handful to carry it all, plus calculators, ruler, binders etc... I saw a pic somewhere of a clear storage bin. Is that a requirement rather than a backpack for security reasons etc?

How have folks brought in their reference books? Thanks in advance for those who have taken the PE before and can offer first-hand experience.
This is what I used.  Minus the little one in the middle.  Plus a 31 carryall tote and another book that didn't fit in anywhere else.  And my bag of food/drink.  Overkill?  Maybe, but I know some of the obscure books I debated leaving at home were used to pull equations from, and I was very glad I had them.  Granted, I'm structural, so ALL.THE.CODES.

56142dbb-d400-48bf-a127-8deefa8e697e_1000.jpg

564915386_o.jpg

Have your Starbucks order ready and be prepared to tell the Proctors to go on latte' run for you (have cash to tip them a dollar or two).

Important Note: They will stop taking orders after the fourth or fifth request, so be sure to be the first one to make the request.

Also bring your fitbit.  Make sure it beeps hourly so you can get up and start walking around and doing figure 8's around the room (It is important to stretch your legs).  

doesn't matter how you get your references in there. you'll keep your backpack/suitcase/forklift on the floor next to you, or possibly against the wall at the side of the room.

My experience- You can take anything and by any any means -trolley, dolly, box, bag. But you should take as much as required ( no less no more) which you can use in the exam. You should not be lost in the references itself. I sat for Electrical Power and took two codes, one reference book and my personal notes. Had I taken the 5th one, I would have failed to use that. Make sure no loose papers, even the proctor removed the very secured title page from my binder. 

No loose papers, bring any kind of carrying device you want, backpack, rolling luggage, collapsible hand cart or even a full sized hand cart. The exam rooms are secured during lunch so you leave everything at your seat. Avoid containers that you have to carry by hand ( i.e. milk crate with no hand truck). It may not seem bad but when you have to walk to/from parking area to testing site it gets heavy fast.

For actual test day, civil engineers will have luggages, electrical engineers will have back packs. Surveyors will have 2-3 small books in their hands. 

well if you are taking the chemical test this year, you don't need to bring anything reference wise.  It will be provided on the computer

You guys are great!

Thank you for the actual helpful answers, and for the laughs at the clearly sarcastic as well! lol I'll plan on bringing my references in my backpack. :)

If you change your mind and do some kind of crate or container,  make sure you pack a blanket in case it rains.  For my 1st attempt Im lucky I had 1 of my daughters blankets in the car to cover my references.  

This is probably overkill, but I took the Civil: Structural and I built a book carrier between study breaks.  Building it was actually a good stress relief.  The picture below is what the rough draft looks like. During the exam, I  laid it down on the ground next to me and had easy access to my books.  I didn't have to work to keep them organized or fight to get them out (something to do with gravity and friction).  I also turned all the books so that the spine was on the inside and I wrote the title on the outer pages(fore edge).  If they are all facing the right direction, your tabs at the top of the page will fit nicely as well.  I didn't take a picture of the end result, but I added a 2x2 across the top, and screwed a 2x4x6" to a 2x6x8" to use as a wedge between the 2x2 and the books.  The 2x4 dimensions allow you use the block for 6 different lengths and keep your books standing. I ordered the following cart from Amazon. A similar version can be found at home depot. I strapped it all up to the cart, and I was good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Aluminium-Collapsible-Shopping-Supermarket/dp/B00Q4MGHHI/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1517431683&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=170+lb+trolly

Book Holder.JPG

Block.jpg

^^^^^ Dang! I admire the creativity. haha!  :D  Sounds like the quote below is about right. I don't envy you civil engineers. I'll keep it simple with my backpack though. Sounds like the proctors are ridiculously anal, barring folks from even allowing turning a milk crate upside down as a shelf to keep books closer withing reach...  :blink:

For actual test day, civil engineers will have luggages, electrical engineers will have back packs. Surveyors will have 2-3 small books in their hands. 

No loose papers, bring any kind of carrying device you want, backpack, rolling luggage, collapsible hand cart or even a full sized hand cart. The exam rooms are secured during lunch so you leave everything at your seat. Avoid containers that you have to carry by hand ( i.e. milk crate with no hand truck). It may not seem bad but when you have to walk to/from parking area to testing site it gets heavy fast.

And Chemistry Engineers will come with their bare hands.

Back