Engineer Boards
​ ​
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
tj_PE

Travel!! Where are you headed; Where do you want to go? Where have you been?

All our phones are out of contract- but we got hers at the att store - I got mine off amazon so I guess if I can't get hers unlocked we could switch phones?

I'm assuming you own your phones? Only reason I ask is that some carriers won't unlock a phone if you're leasing it or if you still owe payments on it.

Yeah we're all finished up paying for them and if one dies or a kid breaks it we just get one of amazon or nextdoor

On 10/24/2017 at 4:47 PM, tj_PE said:

So, I'm pretty obsessed with travel. Share here your fave trips, dream trips, upcoming trips, hated trips, crazy stories!!! 

I used to live in France after I graduated with a liberal arts degree and couldn't find work so I'm pretty well traveled in Europe. Feel free to hit me up for French travel stuff. Otherwise, I've been to China, Hong Kong, Morocco, Spain, Germany, Hungary, and Mexico for fun and then to the Philippines, Bolivia, and Canada for work (when I worked for oil & gas).

• Like 1

I think the most memorable thing was "sandboarding" the sand dunes in eastern Morocco near the Algerian border.

• Like 1

I think the worst thing was watching bullfighting in Madrid. I wanted to keep an open mind and accept that it's culture/history, but really it's pretty barbaric and dumb, if I may be honest.

• Like 1

Considering recent trips have been to Iceland in December last year and to Ireland/Northern Ireland in March this year.  Probably no foreign travel the rest of the year except for the United States and that will be by auto, not flying.   

• Like 1

Woohoo! Just booked my flight to Taiwan! I'll be there for the week of Thanksgiving. So stoked! I'm going to get so fat...

1 hour ago, squaretaper said:

Woohoo! Just booked my flight to Taiwan! I'll be there for the week of Thanksgiving. So stoked! I'm going to get so fat...

Cool! I did some work out there at the Chinshan nuclear plant in Taipei. (2) single failure-proof spent fuel handling bridge cranes rated at 200-ton each. Complete with ControlLogix and PanelView to monitor status of various crane functions. :thumbs: 

1 minute ago, knight1fox3 said:

Complete with ControlLogix and PanelView to monitor status of various crane functions.

So sexy!

A/B sends you out for SATs and commissioning? That's not the consultant's job?

2 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

I did some work out there at the Chinshan nuclear plant in Taipei.

Cool, I feel safer if @knight1fox3 worked on this project. Our AirBnB is on the north side of the city.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squaretaper said:

A/B sends you out for SATs and commissioning? That's not the consultant's job?

Wasn't working for A/B at that time. P&H/Konecranes as the lead EE on the project. :thumbs:

Was an end-user in that capacity. :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

Wasn't working for A/B at that time. P&H/Konecranes as the lead EE on the project. :thumbs:

Was an end-user in that capacity. :D

Any particular recommendations? I know you were there for work, but just in case! When I worked in the Philippines, we definitely found time to hit the beach!

Just now, squaretaper said:

Any particular recommendations? I know you were there for work, but just in case! When I worked in the Philippines, we definitely found time to hit the beach!

Nadda, sorry. This was close to 10 years ago already. And we were pulling 12+ hr shifts so I didn't have the energy for much else after hours.

4 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

Nadda, sorry. This was close to 10 years ago already. And we were pulling 12+ hr shifts so I didn't have the energy for much else after hours.

Well then what good are you??? Besides automating a nuke.

• fudgey 1

Anyone else on the thread familiar with Taiwan?

Going to Hatgal, Mogolia in June on a mission trip.   I think the longest flight is 13 hrs to Bejing.  We are taking 15 guys for a couple of weeks to finishout a church/school.  The last leg of the trip is going to be on a bus for the ones that don't fit in the puddle jumper.  Not sure who will have it worse.

4 minutes ago, goodal said:

Going to Hatgal, Mogolia in June on a mission trip.   I think the longest flight is 13 hrs to Bejing.  We are taking 15 guys for a couple of weeks to finishout a church/school.  The last leg of the trip is going to be on a bus for the ones that don't fit in the puddle jumper.  Not sure who will have it worse.

Interesting gamble! The 4wd option sounds fun.

Anyone have any suggestions for Charleston, SC? Probably heading there for a bachelorette party (not mine) in July.

Also, likely gonna be on the East Coast five times between mid-June and mid-October. VT, Charleston, Saratoga Springs, CT, VT.

Throw in a long July 4th in Tahoe, Memorial Day in Mendocino County, and family in town over Labor Day, and that's basically my summer.

And also, the reason the fiance and I aren't really getting a long vacation this year. And why we're getting married next. Maybe honeymoon in Mozambique and the Seychelles? And heck, through Madagascar in there too?

1 hour ago, leggo PE said:

Anyone have any suggestions for Charleston, SC? Probably heading there for a bachelorette party (not mine) in July.

Shrimp and grits at Magnolia's and some homemade pimento cheese. And be prepared to sweat your ass off in July. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, leggo PE said:

Also, likely gonna be on the East Coast five times between mid-June and mid-October. VT, Charleston, Saratoga Springs, CT, VT.

Throw in a long July 4th in Tahoe, Memorial Day in Mendocino County, and family in town over Labor Day, and that's basically my summer.

And also, the reason the fiance and I aren't really getting a long vacation this year. And why we're getting married next. Maybe honeymoon in Mozambique and the Seychelles? And heck, through Madagascar in there too?

For bars that are probably left-coaster approved, take a look at The Gin Joint and Closed for Business.

For restaurants, whatever you want.  It's almost tough to find a bad restaurant, but gets expensive fast.  For a group of girls, there's a place called R. Kitchen that is way more casual and does a five course dinner that they cook in front of you, but you need reservations weeks in advance.  It's also one of the least expensive meals you'll have there.  Just be sure to get some crab cakes eggs benedict for breakfast one day regardless of where you go.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, squaretaper said:

Calling @kevo_55  I do believe he's visited many times.

1 hour ago, Supe said:

For restaurants, whatever you want.  It's almost tough to find a bad restaurant, but gets expensive fast.  

Compared to San Francisco???

• Like 1

18 hours ago, squaretaper said:

@squaretaper I have been there 15 times so far. My wife is from there and it's like a 2nd home to me. I'll actually be heading there in less than a month for 4 weeks.

What would you like to know?