Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
tj_PE

Travel!! Where are you headed; Where do you want to go? Where have you been?

So, I'm pretty obsessed with travel. Share here your fave trips, dream trips, upcoming trips, hated trips, crazy stories!!! 

I just booked a business class ticket for the long part of my trip to the Galapagos Islands in may. It will be my first time flying business class! Economy ticket from home airport to quito RT would be about 1250, i got this business class ticket from JFK to quito for 745rt (deal fare - on united would be 2800rt), and will connect for about 300-400 and have a day in the city. sounds like a win to me! 

I recently went to thailand (feb 2017) and hit up australia back in 2011. Definitely ramping up my travel frequency lately. Also planning a S. Europe/Dublin trip next fall. Share your stories!!

Edited by thejulie_PE

So, I'm pretty obsessed with travel. Share here your fave trips, dream trips, upcoming trips, hated trips, crazy stories!!! 
I just booked a business class ticket for the long part of my trip to the Galapagos Islands in may. It will be my first time flying business class! Economy ticket from home airport to quito RT would be about 1250, i got this business class ticket from JFK to quito for 745rt (deal fare - on united would be 2800rt), and will connect for about 300-400 and have a day in the city. sounds like a win to me! 
I recently went to thailand (feb 2017) and hit up australia back in 2011. Definitely ramping up my travel frequency lately. Also planning a S. Europe/Dublin trip next fall. Share your stories!!
Any trips planned to Vegas? ;)

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Just now, knight1fox3 said:

Any trips planned to Vegas? ;)

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

YES. in 2.5 weeks. :P 

Flew to New Zealand, never booked the return flight...

Been to a few different places in Mexico with my family. Went to Europe on a school trip back in HS and toured Italy, Barcelona, and France. Work has taken me to Africa (via Dubai) and to the Caribbean. We're planning on a handful of trips to explore the Pacific side of the globe (Fiji, Australia, Japan, China, Vietnam, Singapore, etc), but nothing formally planned yet.

• Like 1

New Zealand, London, Switzerland, St. Lucia, mexico, Bahamas, Jamaica, St. Thomas, St Marteen,  Belize, Caymen Islands, Hawaii (big island, maui, oahu)

We're hoping to go to Thailand next summer with my parents and ILs. Our 10-year wedding anniversary is also coming up, so maybe Hawaii or Cancun.

Alaska is awesome.  Canada sucks.

• Haha 4

Unfortunately, most of my travel takes me to Jamaica and Arkansas because of family and 'framily'. But my husband and I have finally booked a cruise for just the two of us. It's not until next year but I'm still looking forward to it. We are cruising around the western caribbean islands. Can't wait!

• Like 1

Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Canada, and pretty much all over the US.

2 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

Does California count as a foreign county yet?

No.

I'm reasonably well traveled in western and central Europe. I've been to the UK, Spain, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Greece.

I've also been to Egypt, Morocco, and Canada (primarily Montreal but also Toronto and Banff). I'm decently well traveled on the east coast of the U.S., and have been to Hawaii a few times, but have lots to see in the middle of the country.

As far as where I'd like to go next? I'd love to go to Scotland and visit my friend and her Scot-Irish husband who live in Glasgow. I'd really like to get back to Spain to check out Madrid, Grenada, and Sevilla. I would also really like to go back to Morocco and check out some more of that country. Visiting the Atacama Desert in Chile and Argentina is definitely a bucket list item. Strangely enough, despite it's proximity to California, I've never been to Mexico. That might change next year. I also really want to go to Portugal!

The fiancé and I haven't really started planning our honeymoon yet (heck, we haven't really started planning the wedding either), but ideas have been tossed around. I've mainly been considering hiking in the Swiss and Austrian Alps, or perhaps doing a trip to Australia and NZ. I'm looking for a two-week honeymoon, for sure.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

Does California count as a foreign county yet?

not limited to international travel! 

My favorite more specific places that I've been are probably (in no particular order): Kauai, Berlin, Vienna, Spain (in general), and Innsbruck.

• Like 1

Japan, China, Singapore, Indonesia, Mexico, and Canada are all checked off my list.

Really want to visit Europe. Particularly Italy. 

2 hours ago, YMZ PE said:

Our 10-year wedding anniversary is also coming up, so maybe Hawaii or Cancun.

Ha, we said the same thing. And there went year 12. LOL

Australia, Mexico, Canada, Netherlands, Katowice Poland, St. Lucia

Agree w/ Supe, Alaska is awesome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are poor people with 3 nearly grown kids who don't get our parents to keep the kids for us so we can jet off places, but I am excited that southwest is adding Hawaii to its flight plan in 2018.  We were going to go dive Belize in 2 years but would prefer to spend my money in the US when I can.

I am paying for 2 kids and a wife to go on a (band) school trip to Ireland this spring, a huge waste of money IMO for HS kids. But I lost that argument apparently!  But I am going to use the down time for helo skiing maybe that weekend with the daughter ;)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

Australia, Mexico, Canada, Netherlands, Katowice Poland, St. Lucia

Agree w/ Supe, Alaska is awesome.

I want to go back to alaska. I did the cruise last fall too, and want more. 

• Like 1

and i'm so close i'm basically there already. 

1 hour ago, thejulie_PE said:

and i'm so close i'm basically there already. 

You are still an "Outsider"...

Nothin beats living in AK, but Japan was one hell of a trip.  

In the past year: Japan, Guam (twice), Hawaii, Canada, Spain, Guantanamo Bay (GTMO), multiple lower 48 locations and several locations in Alaska

Everyone needs to get to GTMO at least once.  Try the waterboarding, the water is fine...

Places I want to get to: Ireland, Scotland & Greenland

• Like 3

4 hours ago, YMZ PE said:

We're hoping to go to Thailand next summer with my parents and ILs. Our 10-year wedding anniversary is also coming up, so maybe Hawaii or Cancun.

I did thailand/laos/cambodia in feb and would be happy to share our itinerary info if you want to a la carte pick and choose from it. it has links and contact info and prices! 

1 hour ago, Road Guy said:

We are poor people with 3 nearly grown kids who don't get our parents to keep the kids for us so we can jet off places, but I am excited that southwest is adding Hawaii to its flight plan in 2018.  We were going to go dive Belize in 2 years but would prefer to spend my money in the US when I can.

I am paying for 2 kids and a wife to go on a (band) school trip to Ireland this spring, a huge waste of money IMO for HS kids. But I lost that argument apparently!  But I am going to use the down time for helo skiing maybe that weekend with the daughter ;)

I've looked into one of these student trips and if your kids are super into it, I guess it could be worth it - it will no doubt be an awesome experience, but I've found I can do a better, more comfortable, and more customized trip for myself for less $$. which is why i'm in charge of the galapagos/mp trip this may! weeeeee

These are not those trips this is the HS marching going to Ireland to march in the St. Patrick's Day parade to stoke the ego of the band director at the cost of parents like myself

• fudgey 1