California Civil Surveying Reference Manual (2017)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal91

Reaction score
Has anyone who has taken the Surveying test looked this manual over? It's the one I'm using, and because it's so new there are no reviews for it. I'm wondering if it covers everything enough and if I should be fine with it as the only thing I bring in to the testing center.

So far my impression is that it's thorough and good enough, but then again I have not taken the test.

Thanks!

I skipped that one and went with Mansour's book. A coworker had the previous edition of that manual and failed the exam. The previous edition also has terrible reviews on Amazon.
There is no previous edition. April 2017 is edition 1, revision 1

Just going by the list of topics covered, it seems to be complete.  My guess is you'll be fine. 

Has anyone who has taken the Surveying test looked this manual over? It's the one I'm using, and because it's so new there are no reviews for it. I'm wondering if it covers everything enough and if I should be fine with it as the only thing I bring in to the testing center.

So far my impression is that it's thorough and good enough, but then again I have not taken the test.

Thanks!
So, cal, did you test using this book?  How'd you do?

So, cal, did you test using this book?  How'd you do?
Yeah it went great! I was prepared for everything. My only complaint is that they never define the different type of surveys. I.E. control vs topographic vs construction vs control. Basically everything else in the test plan provided by BPELSG was covered by the book.

I feel ~90% confident I passed :)  Of course the wait is still killing me.

Woohoo, rooting for ya, @cal91! That's great to hear. I had a different surveying book by PPI when I took surveying, and it was basically worthless. Here's to hoping they came out with a good alternative to the CERM for the CA surveying exam!

Thanks @leggo PE! And congrats on being promoted to a moderator :)  I remember waiting for the national exam results in April with you.

Thanks @leggo PE! And congrats on being promoted to a moderator :)  I remember waiting for the national exam results in April with you.
Thanks, cal! I recognize you, too. I like it when I see oldies from the past few cycles come back. I like it even better when they stick around in the first place. ;)

* control vs topographic vs construction vs ROUTE
Control Survey:  A survey which establishes points on a horizontal coordinate system, and vertical elevations (bench marks) in relation to a specified datum. 

Topographic Survey:  A survey which depicts the configuration of the ground and the location of natural and man-made objects thereon.  

Construction Survey:  A survey that stakes out the horizontal and vertical positions of proposed improvements.  

Route Survey:  A survey that stakes out the alignment (horizontal and vertical) of a proposed improvement such as a roadway, railroad, storm drain, utility, etc.  

:D  

Yeah it went great! I was prepared for everything. My only complaint is that they never define the different type of surveys. I.E. control vs topographic vs construction vs control. Basically everything else in the test plan provided by BPELSG was covered by the book.
I feel ~90% confident I passed [emoji4] Of course the wait is still killing me.
So how many did you feel you got a 100% on, how many that could have gone either
way, and how many complete guesses?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

So how many did you feel you got a 100% on, how many that could have gone either
way, and how many complete guesses?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I know you are not asking me but "back in my day" (when it was scantron with only 50 questions), I felt rock solid on 32, so-so on another ~10, and ran out of time and guessed on the last ~8. 

I really didn't keep track. But I went through once getting 49/55 of them. I felt pretty confident about those but you know how easy it is to forget something simple. Then I went through a second time and got 5/6. Timed out on the last one (eliminated one possibility for that question.)

So really none of them were complete guesses. Only one was a 1/3 guess. 

Back