Required codes to bring? (HVAC test)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayed

meah meah
Reaction score
Well the consensus seemed to be to bring at most to bring the ASHRAE handbooks. But the six-minute ppi book has a bunch of random questions from ashrae standards (62.1, 55, 34, etc.).  (Coincidentally i do have 62.1 yet none of the tables they refer to are on there. )

I'm getting worried that random questions on standards are gonna kill me on the test

Last edited by a moderator:
On every single practice exam including the NCEES ones, any question they have like this, where the answers are all just different codes, you would only need to know the "name" of each standard to solve the problem. For example in the SMS HVAC book, you would easily be able to get the answer to the question about energy codes if you knew the name of ASHRAE 55 as "Thermal Comfort" and knowing that doesn't deal with energy like the other ones do.  

So I printed out a list of all the ASHRAE standards with their number and name next to each other. I also did this with the NFPA codes. I'm thinking any question that asks about "what code applies to this scenario?" I should be able to figure out with these lists.

Your ASHRAE Fundamentals book also has a huge list of the codes and standards in the back. They are organized by application or system and not alphabetically, which makes it harder to find if you just have the number, but there's a ton listed back there; good chance anything on the test will be on one of these lists.

At least that's how I plan on attacking these questions. I guess I'll know this week if I planned correctly.

On every single practice exam including the NCEES ones, any question they have like this, where the answers are all just different codes, you would only need to know the "name" of each standard to solve the problem. For example in the SMS HVAC book, you would easily be able to get the answer to the question about energy codes if you knew the name of ASHRAE 55 as "Thermal Comfort" and knowing that doesn't deal with energy like the other ones do.  

So I printed out a list of all the ASHRAE standards with their number and name next to each other. I also did this with the NFPA codes. I'm thinking any question that asks about "what code applies to this scenario?" I should be able to figure out with these lists.

Your ASHRAE Fundamentals book also has a huge list of the codes and standards in the back. They are organized by application or system and not alphabetically, which makes it harder to find if you just have the number, but there's a ton listed back there; good chance anything on the test will be on one of these lists.

At least that's how I plan on attacking these questions. I guess I'll know this week if I planned correctly.
pretty lonely here. i don't see anyone comment on the boards write much about the HVAC.

definitely don't see anyone who took it last april.

..holy crap. there must be hundreds of standards back here.

I don’t think there is a single “code” question in the latest NCEES HVAC&R practice exam. Is there?
Not in the 2016 HVAC one. However there is one in the 2001 HVAC pm section about a kitchen hood. There are a couple between the PPI practice test and SMS.

And then I remember two more that require the actual standards. One in the SMS where you need the table in ASHRAE 62.1 to get occupant density. And there's one in the PPI test where you need ASHRAE 55 to look up the equation for operative temperature. 

Back