Application - potential reference etiquette

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkaKhiar

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Like a lot of people here, I'm applying to take my PE Exam and ran into a little trouble with the engagement/references portion of the application.

The preface: an individual who agreed to be my reference reviewed some samples of my work (they aren't part of the office I work at) asked for me to send the relevant paperwork to their address. After 2 weeks of not receiving the paperwork back in my snail-mail inbox, I wrote a quick email to them to confirm they received my paperwork; that was this past Tuesday. I still have not heard any response, unfortunately.

The question: is it considered rude, pushy, or otherwise negative if I call and/or email them at least one more time in the coming week?

Hello everyone! Like a lot of people here, I'm applying to take my PE Exam and ran into a little trouble with the engagement/references portion of the application.

The preface: an individual who agreed to be my reference reviewed some samples of my work (they aren't part of the office I work at) asked for me to send the relevant paperwork to their address. After 2 weeks of not receiving the paperwork back in my snail-mail inbox, I wrote a quick email to them to confirm they received my paperwork; that was this past Tuesday. I still have not heard any response, unfortunately.

The question: is it considered rude, pushy, or otherwise negative if I call and/or email them at least one more time in the coming week?
Give them a call.  Remind them of your deadline.  

What state are you in?

Why is this thread in the Civil Exam Prep forum?                   .....moving......

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with ptatohed, it's up to you to corral your references and if you provided adequate notice (few weeks) or told them of the tight deadline if you didn't give adequate notice then they should understand a phone call from you. It's better to seem a bit pushy (which you won't anyways) then to miss the deadline

Back