Actual test times?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwantthatPE

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm testing this coming Friday. I'm wondering what time the actual test begins and ends? With lunch break? Notice says to arrive at 7:15 am so I'm assuming we'll begin by 8am? And done by 5pm? 

They want you processed and sitting by 8AM.  The test probably will begin around 8:30AM once you get through the reading the rules etc.  It's scheduled to finish by 5 but of course if you finish early you can leave.  

Hi all. I'm testing this coming Friday. I'm wondering what time the actual test begins and ends? With lunch break? Notice says to arrive at 7:15 am so I'm assuming we'll begin by 8am? And done by 5pm? 
There is no official start time, they start after everyone is seated, packets and pencils distributed, and the head proctor has announced all of the housekeeping rules.  When they say go, it can be an odd time such as, say, 8:23am.  Thus, have your stopwatch ready to go and hit start right when they say to begin.  That way you don't have to worry about clock time, all you care about is "the 4 hours" you have.  Same with the afternoon.  Good luck.  

The morning session usually starts on time, but could be 8:04, 8:16, etc. (never before 8:00 am, though)

They will give you one hour lunch break, and afternoon test starts usually at 1:30pm or later. Test itself will end exactly 4 hours after, but they need some time to collect the exams, counting, etc before everybody leaves the room, so you will be dismissed around 6pm - 6:30pm.

The only set times are the show up time, the four hours in the morning and the four hours in the afternoon. The return time from lunch is variable, and you shouldn't be surprised if it ends up being later than the time they gave you; perhaps because a proctor was late getting back. I'd recommend packing a lunch and eating on site.

The test is supposed to be over around 5. But unless you leave early you shouldn't count on it actually being 5:00. 6:00 or later isn't unheard of, and it may take longer just to get out of the parking lot due to the rush of everyone trying to leave at the same time during rush hour.

Everything everyone said above is accurate, in my experience. I took the PE exam three times, and one time, we didn't get out until about quarter to 7 pm. That was because we didn't start until almost 9 am (I forget what the exact problem was, but we were sitting in the testing room for a long time before we actually got to start the morning section), and then some issues corralling everyone back in the room after lunch. It was lame!

The other two times I took it, we got out between 5 and 6.

Back