Watcha reading?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leggo PE

Straight Waffle-izer
Reaction score
Simple topic. Have you read any good books lately? Or are you reading anything really good right now? If you had to pick one, what is your favorite book? Do you have any favorite authors?

I'll start! I joined a new book club a few months ago, and right now, we're reading Murder on the Orient Express. I don't think I'd ever really read any Agatah Christy novels before, though I remember my brother reading them when I was a kid. I'm a little surprised to say that I am really enjoying it! That book gave me goosebumps as I was reading it last night.

My favorite book is probably a tie between The Secret History by Donna Tartt and The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. The latter was a book I chose for summer reading in high school, and I still really like it. I haven't reread it in a while though, perhaps I should.

I'm really trying to get back into reading (I fell into a multi-year period where I wasn't really reading any books, just blogs, newspapers, and online news). Are there any other regular (or avid) readers out there?

Fail...

I typically only read reference books on electrical and power engineering. In addition to technical publications and white papers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pretty much read/write construction codes anymore :(

Now I'm super into wondering what the :bananapowerslide: emoticon was. Help?
latest

Right now, a combination of ACI, AISC, IBC, NDS AASHTO and  CERM.  Next Saturday reading for fun!  OMG it has been so long!  The last fiction book I read was.... I don't remember.  I'm sure it was good.  I am in a book club also, although on hiatus at the mo. 

OK, I looked back at my email, and the book I was reading was Every Last Lie by Mary Kubica.  Then my loan ended and I had to wait for it to be back in, then I had to study.  SO I guess I will have to start over from the beginning to try to remember what it was about.  Sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
A book thread!

I just started reading Leah Remini's Troublemaker because I love celebrity gossip (it's a problem). So far it's interesting and funny, but I haven't reached the juicy parts yet.

Currently I'm reading The Chronicles of Narnia to my kids. I've never read the series and have always wanted to, so I bought it and started on the first book about a week ago. The kids are fascinated with it so far. 

with the Kindle app on my phone I've started back into sci fi, presently reading Persepolis Rising by James S. A. Corey

I just finished In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume. I'd suggest reading it all in one closely spaced go and having Google handy if you're wanting to know what was real and what was not. It was pleasant enough, but I don't think I'd re-read it. 

Electric Machinery by Fitzgerald/Kingsley/Umans

A Guide to Securing Industrial Control Networks - (IT-OT) Convergence

Back