Spin Up Question 3-31

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt9550a

Reaction score
The low side of a transformer neutral is typically connected to?

H0

X0

N0

G0

Answer is X0, but could someone point me to a resource?  This type of question has appeared several times and I couldn't find a reference in my resources or online.  I've been looking for a diagram(s) to show all of these connections.

Thanks!

The low side of a transformer neutral is typically connected to?

H0

X0

N0

G0

Answer is X0, but could someone point me to a resource?  This type of question has appeared several times and I couldn't find a reference in my resources or online.  I've been looking for a diagram(s) to show all of these connections.

Thanks!

Typically, H is used to represent the high voltage side of transformer connections and X is used to represent low voltage side. To be fair, I don't really think this is likely to appear on the PE exam because it is manufacturer dependent. 

To my knowledge, there is no "code" or "standard" that mandates this.  If there is, I'd like to see it. 

To answer your question, take a look at the google image search results for transformer nameplates, you'll see many different types of naming conventions used for the terminals but most of the time H and X are used to identify high voltage and low voltage:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=transformer+nameplate&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjrzvWHv_rWAhUEMSYKHYC4DzoQ_AUICygC&biw=1440&bih=776

Back