Resource for Shear/Moment Diagrams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knew of a good resource for shear/moment diagrams, outside of the ones listed in Table 3-23 of AISC. I know the basics of shear/moment diagrams; plus I know I can easily look them up in the tables of AISC, but does anyone know of a more exhaustive list that is available, i.e. something that would be supplemental to the AISC tables, just in case there is one on the exam that you can't find in AISC. After just taking the NCEES afternoon practice exam, there were some on there that were a little tricky and couldn't be found in AISC (e.g., three point loads on a three-span continuous beam with a hinge on it).

I did not take Structural Depth so my interest in S/M Diagrams was AM level only but I found the ones in the CERM Appendix to be very helpful. 

I doubt you'll need one that is far off from the AISC tables. Note they have multispan tables as well. The multispan ones were very helpful to me for visualizing moment and shear distribution. 

Just wondering if anyone knew of a good resource for shear/moment diagrams, outside of the ones listed in Table 3-23 of AISC. I know the basics of shear/moment diagrams; plus I know I can easily look them up in the tables of AISC, but does anyone know of a more exhaustive list that is available, i.e. something that would be supplemental to the AISC tables, just in case there is one on the exam that you can't find in AISC. After just taking the NCEES afternoon practice exam, there were some on there that were a little tricky and couldn't be found in AISC (e.g., three point loads on a three-span continuous beam with a hinge on it).
Can you post that beam for us? Just draw it out please. A lot of the times you can do a combination of multi-span cases, as in superposition, and the result is accurate. Otherwise, I would recommend doing a few problems from the HIbbelers structural analysis book and taking the initial chapter procedure page in your notes. 

I think you are talking about problem 510 and this basically tests your approach on doing M/S diagrams as apposed to finding a moment or shear at  a certain point. And with this type of problem it is necessary to practice the procedure to building the actual M/S diagrams. As in recognizing a hinge or a pin reaction will have a zero moment and only one option in the offered answers has  a moment at zero at the hinge. 

Shear+moment diagrams for complex/heavily-variable situations most likely won't be published in industry documents. You should have a structural analysis textbook that can help you with this. Here is a link to a compilation of simple V+M diagrams that I find visually appealing and easy to understand, but then-again you'll see these in most textbooks.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standards/publications/design-aids/AWC-DA6-BeamFormulas-0710.pdf

Short answer is that you need to be able to solve "6-minute" V+M problems in a timely manner, either within the 6 minute window or with time you've made up by completing other problems quicker. 

Thanks for the feedback. The ones in the back of the CERM are good, but every one of those are also in AISC. And yes, I stumbled upon those NDS ones, and I think that will be my back-up resource to look at in case I can't find the appropriate one in AISC because it appears NDS does have a couple of scenarios that aren't covered in the AISC manual. Yeah the problem was #510; I had a general sense of the moment diagram for that case, without the hinge, when I first looked at it, but the hinge was what was throwing me off. I initially thought of it not having any moment, and could've sworn that was the case, but then I was looking at some moment influence diagrams with hinges and that's what caused me to pick an answer that didn't have zero moment at the hinge. I've thought deeper about that since then, and now have a better understanding of influence diagrams (i.e., those lines don't correspond to moment diagrams), so hopefully I won't let something like that fool me on the actual exam.

I also am aware of superposition and the multi-span/continuous beam cases presented in AISC. Correct, most of those can actually be obtained from AISC.

Thanks for the feedback. The ones in the back of the CERM are good, but every one of those are also in AISC. And yes, I stumbled upon those NDS ones, and I think that will be my back-up resource to look at in case I can't find the appropriate one in AISC because it appears NDS does have a couple of scenarios that aren't covered in the AISC manual. Yeah the problem was #510; I had a general sense of the moment diagram for that case, without the hinge, when I first looked at it, but the hinge was what was throwing me off. I initially thought of it not having any moment, and could've sworn that was the case, but then I was looking at some moment influence diagrams with hinges and that's what caused me to pick an answer that didn't have zero moment at the hinge. I've thought deeper about that since then, and now have a better understanding of influence diagrams (i.e., those lines don't correspond to moment diagrams), so hopefully I won't let something like that fool me on the actual exam.

I also am aware of superposition and the multi-span/continuous beam cases presented in AISC. Correct, most of those can actually be obtained from AISC.
I was actually going to suggest reviewing influence line methods, but didn't want to give you something to try to pick up right before the exam if you hadn't ever been introduced to that method. Glad you're feeling better about it! Time to do some last minute brushing up, get organized, and get lots of rest before the big day. best of luck!

Shear+moment diagrams for complex/heavily-variable situations most likely won't be published in industry documents. You should have a structural analysis textbook that can help you with this. Here is a link to a compilation of simple V+M diagrams that I find visually appealing and easy to understand, but then-again you'll see these in most textbooks.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standards/publications/design-aids/AWC-DA6-BeamFormulas-0710.pdf

Short answer is that you need to be able to solve "6-minute" V+M problems in a timely manner, either within the 6 minute window or with time you've made up by completing other problems quicker. 
This is what I was going to write.

Back