How long CA to approve PE License after passing PE Exam last APR 2017?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeke082

Reaction score
I am an out-of-state applicant looking to get licensed as a PE in Electrical Power in CA. As of the last exam cycle, examines can register directly to NCEES for PE Exam. I passed the exam last April 2017 and submitted the completed forms, ethics exams and engagement requirements last September 30. How long does it take for the CA board to review and release my license if approved?

I am an out-of-state applicant looking to get licensed as a PE in Electrical Power in CA. As of the last exam cycle, examines can register directly to NCEES for PE Exam. I passed the exam last April 2017 and submitted the completed forms, ethics exams and engagement requirements last September 30. How long does it take for the CA board to review and release my license if approved?
You submitted your application last September 30?  2016?  At that time, applicants were required to submit the application prior to being approved by the California Board to sit for a national exam.  Did you mean September 30, 2017?  I'm guessing you did and if that's the case, you should hear something by mid November at the latest.  If you don't by then, feel free to email me at [email protected] and provide me with more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for shedding light on this @CAPLS. My application was submitted last 09/30/2017 and I got an email from BPELSG confirming they received my application for licensure last 10/09/2017. The delay was due to foreign university transcript request and one of my reference has taken some time to response.

I'm out-of-state in nyc that recently passed the April 2017 exam.

I was a straggler and finally sent out my application 7/13 and I just got my license # today! 

I wouldn't take my case as a typical example though, 6-8 weeks is the normal timeframe.  Fingerprint examiners held up the process in nyc so I had a few extra weeks to wait. @CAPLS was a great help during this period so reach out if you feel you need assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also an out-of-state in NYC. I have to fly back to SF get my Live Scan and back to NYC on same day.

I am now on my 3rd week of wait.

I am also an out-of-state in NYC. I have to fly back to SF get my Live Scan and back to NYC on same day.

I am now on my 3rd week of wait.
You have to fly here to get your finger prints done? That doesn't sound right to me.  I thought you could do them via a finger print card, though that can take longer.

I visited the live scan location in CA not the paper fingerprint card that can be done out of state. 

Capture.JPG

I visited the live scan location in CA not the paper fingerprint card that can be done out of state. 

View attachment 10207
I guess I was just commenting on how that it seemed extreme to me to come here just for fingerprints (if that was really the only reason you were coming) when there is another option available. But hey, however you can get it done works for the Board!

Livescan only works in the state in which the entity that requires it resides.  This is because the fingerprints are transmitted to that state's Department of Justice and local FBI office for processing and reporting.  Going to a LIvescan center outside of California would result in the fingerprints being sent to that state and not California.  That is why the hardcopy cards are available.  However, processing of the cards can be more time consuming since those are mailed to the applicant, mailed by to BPELSG before delivered to the DOJ/FBI.  Nothing that BPELSG can do in regards to DOJ/FBI requirements.

Hey guys,

I submitted my Mechanical PE application in January 15th, and my check was cashed at the end of the month. They approved the application and sent it to 'Technical Review' on February 12.

It is now May 9th, going on 16 weeks since I sent in the application. Has anyone experienced this?

I am having a hard time figuring out when the app is expected to be completed with review, which makes it really hard to take off my mind considering that my bosses are asking about my licensure status and I have several raises hinging on this expected raise.

Back