LinkedIn Protips

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User1

Reaction score
I was looking at my LinkedIn profile recently and was curious how far back I should take my work experience? I already left off a professional internship since it wasn't directly related to my field, but I'm thinking that now that I graduated a handful of years ago, my other internships are maybe less necessary to list? 

What do you do? 

also should this post be somewhere else? whoops :D  

If it was while in college and relative to your work I would list it but maybe as just one engagement like below:

2002-2004 Various Super Smart Internships

• Internship #1 with no more than 1 line of text
  • Internship #2 with no more than 1 line of text

But then once you get beyond say 6 years I wouldn't list them anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I ever listed my internships on my Linked In profile. It is still shown on my resume (mostly because I'm horrible at keeping it updated), even though it was over 15 years ago...

thanks. LinkedIn truncates them currently, so they're there, but not really there. 

I'm older than 6 years ago - I'm at 9 now :eek: 

I made my LinkedIn a loooooooooong time ago and have just kept building on it. I like that I can show projects I've worked on personally. 

yeah then I wouldn't list them unless they were really cool....

But its not like a linkedin recruiter will actually read it anyways!
wait they don't read them? 

everyone thinks my background is SO INTERESTING and PERFECT for their client!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the same email from a lady who thinks I am great to lead their WATER division?  I was like ughh you realize I am a transportation person???

You would know exactly what a good linkedin profile should include, were you linked with me. :laugh:

You would know exactly what a good linkedin profile should include, were you linked with me. :laugh:
well, the stalk-a-thon occurred from the pick em league. that's the only info i have about people :p

I got the same email from a lady who thinks I am great to lead their WATER division?  I was like ughh you realize I am a transportation person???

I am a transportation person as well. I was hit up for a mechanical engineering position.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ball's in your court.  Stalk away!
idk what that means???? but i went to linkedin and had some "do you know x person" and i was like sure, connect and then it sent them an invitation to connect. so now i look like a weirdo, unless it was you. :withstupid:

I am a transportation person as well. I was hit up for a mechanical engineering position.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No one in the recruiting industry knows what mechanical engineers do, so that explains that.  I get everything from technician to mechanic.

whoa. there's like tons of people that all the eb people are connected to, being suggested as connections. I'm gonna need a sheet like when I started working here that has peoples pictures and names but we need to add EB names too. mine is easy. I DIDNT KNOW THE RULES WHEN I SIGNED UP!

Back