Happy Test Month

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngmotivatedengineer

Reaction score
Happy test month to my fellow test takers this session.  As you're finishing your prep, make sure you also take them to learn your calculator and what it can do for you. For example, the casio has a function solver, which can come in handy to save some time as well as avoid possible math errors during the exam when trying to solve for a variable using a multistep process. 

Great advice.  I remember when I started studying for the FE, I decided to take one whole study day and dedicate it to going through my calculator's manual.  Matrices, equation solver, storing variables, conversions, integration, differentiation, degree-minute-seconds, etc. (back then I was able to use a TI-89).  Moral:  know your calculator well!  

Less than four weeks, everyone! You've all got this.

Review what you think you still need to work on. Tab everything you think is relevant now, if you haven't been already, to save yourself the time from having to do this the last week before the exam. At the very least, don't study the last night before the test! Just load your car up, eat a good dinner, and try to get a good night's sleep.

You're all almost there!

Ugh!  I am alternating between freaking out and being angry right now!  We are getting slammed at work - they aren't requiring mandatory OT - yet.  I am trying to get good study time in at home.  I've reached the point where I need to sit and do a million practice problems and all I want to do when I get home is curl up and take a nap. 

Great advice.  I remember when I started studying for the FE, I decided to take one whole study day and dedicate it to going through my calculator's manual.  Matrices, equation solver, storing variables, conversions, integration, differentiation, degree-minute-seconds, etc. (back then I was able to use a TI-89).  Moral:  know your calculator well!  
Must have been before they knew the full power of the TI89 and how you can write programs to automate problems.

Less than four weeks, everyone! You've all got this.

Review what you think you still need to work on. Tab everything you think is relevant now, if you haven't been already, to save yourself the time from having to do this the last week before the exam. At the very least, don't study the last night before the test! Just load your car up, eat a good dinner, and try to get a good night's sleep.

You're all almost there!
This was my problem last exam. Had horrible sleep the night before,  woke up almost every 30 minutes afraid I was going to over sleep my alarms and not make it to the test in time. I was good in morning but worn out by mid afternoon.  This time I'm staying at my parents house about 15 minutes from test site vs. The 1hr+commute from my house.

When packing references for exam, think about the weather.  For April exam it was raining out and I had an open crate for my references.  Luckily I have 2 girls and had a spare Tsum Tsum blanket in the car. This time I'm deffinately bringing a rolling luggage.

For this exam also be prepared for snow. When I took FE exam, we cam out to about 2-3 inches of unshoveled snow/slush on the ground. It won't be fun trying to walk through this while also carrying references if it's open and would be getting wet in snow. 

I saw people with just a binder, multiple extra large luggages or even a full sized hand truck packed with boxes. Don't be scared thinking that people will make fun of you for bringing a luggage bag to the exam. 

Ugh!  I am alternating between freaking out and being angry right now!  We are getting slammed at work - they aren't requiring mandatory OT - yet.  I am trying to get good study time in at home.  I've reached the point where I need to sit and do a million practice problems and all I want to do when I get home is curl up and take a nap. 
go home curl up and take a nap some nights. at least once a week. tell your manager / supervisor (if mandatory OT comes up) that you need to not work OT until exam day. they should be supportive of your professional goals. you can do this. make sure you take care of yourself though, you can't pass the exam if you're too sick to get up and go sit for it. 

This was my problem last exam. Had horrible sleep the night before,  woke up almost every 30 minutes afraid I was going to over sleep my alarms and not make it to the test in time. I was good in morning but worn out by mid afternoon.  This time I'm staying at my parents house about 15 minutes from test site vs. The 1hr+commute from my house.
I stayed close to site too. definitely helped my nerves. also having your parents available to make sure you get up is hopefully a relief as well. good luck!

When packing references for exam, think about the weather.  For April exam it was raining out and I had an open crate for my references.  Luckily I have 2 girls and had a spare Tsum Tsum blanket in the car. This time I'm deffinately bringing a rolling luggage.

For this exam also be prepared for snow. When I took FE exam, we cam out to about 2-3 inches of unshoveled snow/slush on the ground. It won't be fun trying to walk through this while also carrying references if it's open and would be getting wet in snow. 

I saw people with just a binder, multiple extra large luggages or even a full sized hand truck packed with boxes. Don't be scared thinking that people will make fun of you for bringing a luggage bag to the exam. 
yes. bring whatever makes life easier for you going to/from the exam. if you finish early and want to leave early, this will make sure you're not causing a loud distraction to others upon departure, as well. I brought a 360 rolling suitcase and was very glad i did. 

Backpack with maybe eight books in there.  Ended up using just the MERM and the conversion book.  Guy next to me had a full size suitcase.

Backpack with maybe eight books in there.  Ended up using just the MERM and the conversion book.  Guy next to me had a full size suitcase.
This could vary based on discipline. For Civil Construction, there are 8 design standards, and then you figure 1 or 2 general references for morning,  and possibly 1 or 2 general references for afternoon,  along with any topic specific reference books. That can easily be around 15 books.

Good Luck to everyone.

I am so glad that I am not taking a single exam of any type this month, including any type of certification exam, CEU/PDH type of exam, physical exam (prostate exam was last month), or stupid facebook exam my wife always make me take (i.e. "if you were a flower what type of flower would you be").  I will be thinking of you on test day (not really).

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Luck to everyone.

I am so glad that I am not taking a single exam of any type this month, including any type of certification exam, CEU/PDH type of exam, physical exam (prostate exam was last month), or stupid facebook exam my wife always make me take (i.e. "if you were a flower what type of flower would you be").  I will be thinking of you on test day (not really).
but you will be, because SPAM

This could vary based on discipline. For Civil Construction, there are 8 design standards, and then you figure 1 or 2 general references for morning,  and possibly 1 or 2 general references for afternoon,  along with any topic specific reference books. That can easily be around 15 books.
I had a few more than 15.  Some I used but didn't think I would need to, and some I didn't use that I thought I would.  One I wanted to use but decided at the last minute not to bring.  <<Note to self - bring that this time>>

I definitely had a full sized suitcase with me. It's been mentioned already, but some disciplines definitely need something to bring all their references/codes in. Structural people unite! :p

Also be sure to think about what food you want to bring with you day of. I went with a lunch that didn't need to be heated (it was a lentil salad recipe over greens that didn't necessarily need to be refrigerated either), and what snacks you might want that aren't loud to eat. Also, drinks! Including the first drink you'll have after you're done with the exam, if ya catch my drift. ;)

I'm torn between my post exam options.  I will be about 3 hours from home, but have some friends who will be there tailgating that weekend, so I could just stay overnight again, or we have a friend who is having a party the next morning/afternoon, so I can drive the 3 hours back and have my drink at home.  Last time I was quite respectable and only had two <beer stine>> glasses of wine.  :)  

I'm torn between my post exam options.  I will be about 3 hours from home, but have some friends who will be there tailgating that weekend, so I could just stay overnight again, or we have a friend who is having a party the next morning/afternoon, so I can drive the 3 hours back and have my drink at home.  Last time I was quite respectable and only had two <beer stine>> glasses of wine.  :)  
Oh man, if it were me, I probably wouldn't be super excited about a 3 hour drive back home after the exam. I had about an hour (with traffic), and I couldn't wait for it to be done! My brain was zapped.

Back