The Baking Thread - Page 7 - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
leggo PE

The Baking Thread

7 minutes ago, kevo_55 said:

Less fighting and more baking!

Like this????  Peppermint cheesecake with a chocolate base/chocolate ganache?

IMG_3743.thumb.jpg.7b45665a95e1474691c9d32fe1e1a770.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now there's something I'd be proud to get diabetes from.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I like making cheesecakes, but I got told by family I needed to stop...because they were too delicious and they couldn't eat them all.  I like making a Bailey cheesecake as well, but I've been told it's very boozy and I need to stop bringing it to the office.  

• fudgey 1

3 hours ago, JayKay0914 said:

I agree with @Supe.  Why would you even, vegan butter, I, what?  I'd much rather use my crisco, where at least I know the origin of my death.  Vegan butter...Like, that is an oxymoron, like jumbo shrimp or civil engineer.

Or turkey bacon. @knight1fox3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

@FLBuff PE Turkey bacon nowadays is the bomb!  Specifically because I am allergic to regular bacon!  At least this way I can just be seen as a pretentious hipster for not eating bacon as opposed to the usual, "You're allergic?  But bacon is soooo good."  Thanks Sharon, I know that, but unless I want my throat to close up, I'll have to pass.

ALSO.  BAKING PLANS FOR TONIGHT: I'm thinking pumpkin snickerdoodles?  I made some pumpkin spice a couple days ago (I like cloves AND allspice in my mix, and most commercially made ones don't use cloves), and I have an opened container of pumpkin puree I've got to use.  I'll post results if I actually go through with it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JayKay0914 said:

@FLBuff PE Turkey bacon nowadays is the bomb!  Specifically because I am allergic to regular bacon!  At least this way I can just be seen as a pretentious hipster for not eating bacon as opposed to the usual, "You're allergic?  But bacon is soooo good."  Thanks Sharon, I know that, but unless I want my throat to close up, I'll have to pass.

ALSO.  BAKING PLANS FOR TONIGHT: I'm thinking pumpkin snickerdoodles?  I made some pumpkin spice a couple days ago (I like cloves AND allspice in my mix, and most commercially made ones don't use cloves), and I have an opened container of pumpkin puree I've got to use.  I'll post results if I actually go through with it.

Do you need addresses to send us cookies? You know, like if you make too many?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, csb said:

Do you need addresses to send us cookies? You know, like if you make too many?

My office has already been warned.  I think after two or three days of them groaning about more baked goods, I may expand into EB.com territory.  I have a list of x-mas cookies I need to try first.  Also want to tinker with pie (though I hate making shells).  We'll see if people like the pictures first!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JayKay0914 said:

Specifically because I am allergic to regular bacon! 

How is that even possible?  What, specifically, are you allergic to?  Pork, salt, or maple syrup?

14 hours ago, wilheldp_PE said:

How is that even possible?  What, specifically, are you allergic to?  Pork, salt, or maple syrup?

I actually went to an allergist, who proved I was allergic (a 3+ on a scale of 4), and as I've gotten older my reaction to it has gotten worse every time I've accidentally (or not so accidentally) chowed down.  Not sure exactly how I am allergic, if it is a process or the nitrates or if I got bitten by a tick, but I know it does not end well for me when I eat it (severe migraine, nausea, throat gets really scratchy/starts to close).  Interestingly enough, one of my cousins has a similar allergy, so it might just be a weird recessive gene that my family has?

That's weird about the bacon JK.

Now about those cookies: YUM!

Bacon sucks for me because I feel like in the last five-years it's suddenly become "hip and with it" to have bacon in EVERYTHING.  Like, bacon used to be for breakfast or wrapping around scallops.  Now all of a sudden there is bacon ice cream and bacon cologne and I don't know what is happening to this country. 

Cookies are really soft and dense?  Not quite sure if that's the texture I was going for, but I do like the buttery/mild cinnamon flavor I have.  Def need to make another batch of pumpkin spice mix when I get home, though.  Ratios I had were good, but it only makes like 2-teaspoons after all the measuring. 

Bacon is everywhere because those who weren't "with it" before now want it everywhere to show how "with it" they are now. 

Kinda like beer with hipsters and the like.  They make beer taste like flowers (IPA) so they can drink it and then they make / buy the sh*t out of it.  Look at me!  I drink beer!  

• Like 1

@Master slacker Are you trying to bash Ithaca Beer's award winning IPA "Flower Power"?  I actually hate IPas now because I feel like every single new one that comes out just has more and more hops than the last, thus negating any real flavor the brewing process might have generated.

On 11/3/2018 at 1:29 PM, knight1fox3 said:

ANOTHER TURKEY BACON ADVOCATE! BOOM!!!!

giphy.gif

ONLY BECAUSE REGULAR BACON MAKES HER DIE.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Supe said:

ONLY BECAUSE REGULAR BACON MAKES HER DIE.

I LITERALLY TEMPTED FATE THIS WEEKEND.  I got a delicious potato, scallion, bacon, chipolte gouda, omelette this weekend.  Asked for a chicken sausage substitute.  They did not substitute.  I had a bite, started coughing and drank three cups of water+coffee to flush my mouth.

They did not charge me for the bacon.  And I got a mini order of the pistachio pancakes for my almost dying!  Huzzah!

• Thanks 1

You almost died and all you got is a mini order of pistachio pancakes??

They better have been the best pancakes you have ever had then.....

• Like 1

I mean, this restaurant is known for their pistachio pancakes.  And they were really, really, good.  Worth the feeble attempt on my life by the waitress!  But I didn't get the milkshake I wanted...Their portions are insane and I left with over half my food.  T_T

'Round these parts, we call that a "shitty restaurant."

Nah, @Supe.  Waitress actually was really concerned when I first mentioned the allergy.  I think it was just the guys in the kitchen working on auto-pilot when they saw the order (the place is packed/always has a wait/doesn't take reservations).  I'm fairly forgiving when it comes to food, as long as I don't die.  

There's a fancy restaurant in Colorado named Snooze that's delightful for breakfast. Same thing- very busy, no reservations. However, they are f-ing rock stars about food allergies. I'd like to thank Boulder for that one. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JayKay0914 said:

Nah, @Supe.  Waitress actually was really concerned when I first mentioned the allergy.  I think it was just the guys in the kitchen working on auto-pilot when they saw the order (the place is packed/always has a wait/doesn't take reservations).  I'm fairly forgiving when it comes to food, as long as I don't die.  

"Hey guys, you didn't put bacon in this, RIGHT?"

15 minutes ago, Supe said:

"Hey guys, you didn't put bacon in this, RIGHT?"

PUT EXTRA BACON.  THAT IS WHAT SHE WANTED.  

Okay.  I think tonight I will be making espresso brownies (because I promised work I would make them again and I finally finished my exam).  I'll keep the thread updated on any revisions I made to my usual recipe!