The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leggo PE

Straight Waffle-izer
Reaction score
Are there any other bakers out there? I love to bake, but typically stick to muffins, the occasional donut, and easy loaves I can make in a pan without yeast, starters, what have you.

I've been wanting to start to bake my own bread for a few years now, and I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet and attempt to get my own starter going. Has anyone here ever made their own bread? I'm also very interested in baking in my cast iron pan, since I did a few very simple cheddar biscuits as part of a Blue Apron meal a few weeks ago.

Anyway, let this be a place where we can all talk about baking processes, baking results, baked goods tried... Cakes, muffins, breads, oh my! And biscuits, cupcakes, tarts, pies, whatever!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried making my own bread for awhile along with pizza dough and some other pastries. It can be fun but is quite time-consuming and takes a lot of practice to get it looking right when it's finished baking. At least it did for me. Then I had kids, pets, and grad school = no more free time

Mrs. Supe is a good baker.  She's won back to back x-mas cookie contests so far.  Which is why I find it so hard to understand her complete inability to actually cook anything you'd consider eating other than chicken soup.

If anyone has any recipes for a lemon pie, I'm all ears.  And non of this meringue crap.

I had a bread starter going for a few years.  Phenomenal bread, but a pain in the ass.

I make my own pizza dough on occasion, and it is awesome.

These things are awesome...

biscuits-in-can.jpg

for 12 years I have been trying to educate EB.com in the ways of proper biscuit baking and NOW we want a baking thread? FU and the horse you all rode in on!
I'm all ears! Do you make them in a cast iron pan? This is what I'm most interested in trying, I think.

you have to experiment with the right amount of all purpose flour, Crisco and milk. Ill get our "recipe" and post it here, but it takes a couple times to get it right.. of course we had to figure out how much water and baking powder to add when we moved to 5280...

My grandmother-inlaw from Biloxi, MS tried to show me how. It involved a pile of flour (1cup?) with a well dug out of the center for the milk (another cup?). That gets mixed and then cut in the crisco (1/2 cup?) until smooth. Then use a biscuit cutter to cut into circles and bake.  About right?

Open can, place on baking sheet, bake as indicated on package. Slather with:

25b64797-924b-4e12-9887-f3b52f7e0c6d_1.299253c0453d41773393bfa7404c27c9.jpeg

I have taken the leap of starting to read Tartine... Man, it's a beautiful (cook? bake?) book!

From the fireplace thread, @Road Guy's family biscuit recipe (so you know it's gonna be good):

get a large bowl, some self rising flour, and a stick of Crisco, and about a cup of water

you have to play with it @csb until it gets to a dough like consistency (start off with minimal water and use a fork to mix the flour and the Crisco)

paddy them out in your hands like you are making small hamburgers and put them on a cast iron pan in the oven @ 450 deg for around 15 minutes

after a dozen or so tries you will get the hang of it

& that's the honest recipe my wifes grandma passed down (my moms was a **** Yankee so she never made them)

Back