PE Exam References - Transportation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tokka

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am currently studying for the PE Exam Transportation option. I have the CERM, All-in-one Civil PE Guide and Practice Exam by Goswami, and the NCEES Practice Exam to study. I am planning to complete the NCEES Practice Exam the Saturday before the PE exam to build confidence as this is the best representation on the exam questions itself.

In addition, I am also collecting the books per NCEES Transportation Depth, but there are 11 books in total :( . I have experience using the HCM, AASHTO Greenbook, and MUTCD and my job is allowing me to borrow it to prep for the test. However, it seems people are recommending to take the Roadside Design Guide (RDG) and the Highway Safety Manual (HSM) to the PE exam. Are they really necessary as I am having money issues (new baby in the house) and cannot buy them. Anyone recommend getting them from experience of taking the exam and please let me know if the other 6 reference books will also be necessary.

If someone has a PDF version of the RDG and HSM and care to share I greatly appreciate it :wub: :thankyou: .

Hello All,

I am currently studying for the PE Exam Transportation option. I have the CERM, All-in-one Civil PE Guide and Practice Exam by Goswami, and the NCEES Practice Exam to study. I am planning to complete the NCEES Practice Exam the Saturday before the PE exam to build confidence as this is the best representation on the exam questions itself.

In addition, I am also collecting the books per NCEES Transportation Depth, but there are 11 books in total :( . I have experience using the HCM, AASHTO Greenbook, and MUTCD and my job is allowing me to borrow it to prep for the test. However, it seems people are recommending to take the Roadside Design Guide (RDG) and the Highway Safety Manual (HSM) to the PE exam. Are they really necessary as I am having money issues (new baby in the house) and cannot buy them. Anyone recommend getting them from experience of taking the exam and please let me know if the other 6 reference books will also be necessary.

If someone has a PDF version of the RDG and HSM and care to share I greatly appreciate it :wub: :thankyou: .
You shouldn't ask publicly for copyrighted material.

If you read through these helpful forum, you'd find most, if not all of your questions addressed.  Also, did you look at the sticky at the top of this forum? 

I feel you probably should have obtained your references prior to one month before the exam but here's my humble advice to answer the question you asked:

Must Have:  GDHS, HCM, RDG, and MUTCD

Somewhere b/t Must Have and Nice to Have:  HSM  (You can find free information on the web about CMFs and other HSM concepts)

Nice to Have:  GPDOPF

Somewhere b/t Nice to Have and Let Go:  [SIZE= 14px]FHWA-HIF-12-026  [/SIZE](However, the pdf is free)

Let Go:  All concrete/asphalt books.   

I am currently studying for the PE Exam Transportation option also. Please message me with if anyone knows the location of PDF references. Thanks.

You don't really need the HSM. If you can get a copy of it from someone and just get the Crash Modification Factors, then you're set. Definitely recommend getting the Roadside Design Guide. Practice using the reference materials (HCM, Greenbook, Roadside Design Guide, Pedestrian to Facilities, MUTCD).

Hello,

Want to Buy Transportation Depth References

Is anyone interested to sell latest versions of GDHS, HCM, MUTCD & RDG?

Please send your year of publication/edition and price for each one to saif<dot>saifuddin<at>gmail<dot>com also

Back