transportation depth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkt123

Reaction score
Does anybody know the books of HSM and RDG are mandatory for afternoon session?

I only have HCM, MUTCD, Green book so I am wondering these are sufficient material or not.

When I have a test of the 2014 practice exam, all problems are covered without the HSM and RDG except for only one problem.

I'd like to hear from those who have experienced the last actual exams.

Thanks,

The books you ask about I feel are part of the core books.  Personally, I wouldn't forgo them.  In my humble opinion, you can pass on any and all of the concrete/asphalt books though.  

I'm pretty sure both these books were added in 2015, which is why you aren't seeing problems in your practice test.

The HSM is $$$$$ there was a draft copy you were able to download from AASHTO a while ago which was VERY similar. That would be better than guessing.

The RDG is a must have.

I bet you're looking at like 10% of the afternoon based on the outline that is going to come out of these 2 books. If I had to pick one, assuming I had all the others, i'd go with the RDG.

The HSM is so vast, you're not going to learn all the concepts or be able to find them if you need to.

You *might* be able to get away with not bringing the HSM but the RDG is a must.

I also was told an asphalt book was not necessary but regretted not having one during the exam.

Back