PPI SDRM References AISC 360 a lot, why? Why not AISC Manual?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerStroke79_PE

Reaction score
The SDRM by PPI references AISC 360 and not as much the AISC Manual, why? I know they are basically parallel, but it makes me question whether the material referenced will show in the PE exam being the PE exam references AISC Manual. Yes  most of it is in the AISC Manual as well, but what are the main uses for AISC 360? 

Not totally on topic, but during my study for the October 2017 exam, it quickly became apparent that the SDRM was not necessary for the structural depth portion of the PE. In fact, I recommend you avoid studying it, because 1) the information overlap is significant with other sources and 2) it is overly complicated on narrow subjects that are not guaranteed to be on the exam. 

Not totally on topic, but during my study for the October 2017 exam, it quickly became apparent that the SDRM was not necessary for the structural depth portion of the PE. In fact, I recommend you avoid studying it, because 1) the information overlap is significant with other sources and 2) it is overly complicated on narrow subjects that are not guaranteed to be on the exam. 
Wow, last night I skipped the mechanism design method of steel section and after finishing the composite and connection sections i decided to go back to review for the second time my EET Depth binder. What do you think of the stand alone Steel Design by Roland?

I got 25 correct i. The afternoon last time so i have to up my game. I did however hardly study any AASHTO, so that i will do this time around. 

The Steel Design book by Roland was great. I found it very useful to work the Roland book in parallel with a steel design textbook and the CERM.  In fact, I'm the only one who reviewed the Roland book on the PPI website, and gave it 5 stars and a small blurb. Definitely worth it. 

On a side note, there is a LOT of material in there. It's the thickest of the PPI subject specific books (out of steel, concrete, and timber). If you don't have them already, I can send you the notes I made while studying for the April '17 exam (Passed). They're really usefull PPT files you can print and bring to the exam in a binder. PM me your email if interested

Correction: Roland's PPI book is listed in two places on their website. I am the only reviewer on one of the pages. The other page has 3 reviews.

I had the SDRM for both the PE and SE exams... I never used it.

As far as the spec, AISC 360 is required because it contains equations pertinent to design (flexural bending capacities, axial compression capacities, etc).  The steel construction manual isn't technically required because it includes AISC 360 plus a bunch of helpful (but not required) design tables and other related information.  AISC 360 gives you the equations that allow you to come up with much of the information that is contained in the first half of the construction manual.  That's why it's helpful but not required.  Having said that, I can't imagine only purchasing 360.  The info in the construction manual is invaluable for practice.

I'm dumb. My first response should have said April 2017, not October 2017. Currently, it reads as if I passed the April 2017 PE exam and am now studying for the October 2017 exam, just for fun. hahaha. oops.

Back