Kaspersky Lab security software - time to remove, or am I already a member of the KGB?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
I saw that the US government has directed all agencies to remove kaspersky labs products from all computers, due to analysis of the capabilities of the software and the company's ties to  the Kremlin and KGB.  I went with Kaspersky for my personal computers a few years ago on the advice of my IT people at the time,.  I'm leaning toward uninstalling it now as a result of this announcement, but if it really has KGB back doors built into it, I am thinking that an uninstall won't do jack.  Am I screwed?  

I saw that the US government has directed all agencies to remove kaspersky labs products from all computers, due to analysis of the capabilities of the software and the company's ties to  the Kremlin and KGB.  I went with Kaspersky for my personal computers a few years ago on the advice of my IT people at the time,.  I'm leaning toward uninstalling it now as a result of this announcement, but if it really has KGB back doors built into it, I am thinking that an uninstall won't do jack.  Am I screwed?  
Do you have a link for this that you are referring to?

And as I've advised other clients of mine for my computer business, whenever one is connected to the Internet, you're always already accepting some limited level of being "partially screwed". Once your connected, there's a certain door that can be opened by anyone who really knows what they are doing. Whether that be the Russians, someone in Shanghai, or even little Billy down the street who never leaves his parents basement. By connecting to the Internet, a person is accepting a certain amount of risk that is associated with the respective dangers that exist. All we can do is take the necessary precautions to try and mitigate this risk. But even these precautions are never 100%, they also have their own exploits.

As for Kaspersky itself, I was never a supporter of their products (other than their anti-rootkit utility). They get average ratings as compared to other utilities, but there are better more robust options available. 

So if I was to uninstall Kaspersky, is there something I could do to make sure it was "all" removed?  

What alternative do you recommend to install in its place?

So if I was to uninstall Kaspersky, is there something I could do to make sure it was "all" removed?  

What alternative do you recommend to install in its place?
I always use Revo Uninstaller to remove software within a Windows platform. And also use the "advanced scan" mode because that will seek out and remove any remnants left in any file folders and more importantly, the Windows registry. The registry is typically the most common place where traces of software are left behind because of the poor default Windows uninstaller design.

The alternative that I typically recommend depends on whether you prefer a subscription-based utility or one that is free. For subscription-based, Bitdefender Internet Security has pulled ahead of Norton in terms of overall performance and value. But the level of premium protection it provides is not cheap. For a free utility (and what I use across all my machines at home) is what used to be called Microsoft Security Essentials which now comes baked into Windows 10 by default as "Windows Defender". It does a fantastic job for AV protection and is also light-weight in terms of over system resource consumption. And if you want to take it a step further and go with something other Windows Firewall, I recommend Comodo Free Firewall. HTH :thumbs:

My personal machine is Windows 7. I still need to keep it running because I'm using it for coursework,  and it still runs great. Is there a Windows Defender for 7, and do you recommend it? Now that you mention it,  I'm running Defender on my son's machine,  per your recommendation a couple years ago.  Seems to be working great.

My personal machine is Windows 7. I still need to keep it running because I'm using it for coursework,  and it still runs great. Is there a Windows Defender for 7, and do you recommend it? Now that you mention it,  I'm running Defender on my son's machine,  per your recommendation a couple years ago.  Seems to be working great.
I also still have a few Win 7 machines running that I really don't need upgraded. For that, the MS equivalent I referenced above is MSE or Microsoft Security Essentials. And yes, it is essentially the same as Windows Defender and performs equally well in my opinion.

Moving this to the What does the Fox say? thread...just kidding I don't want to get banned.

**** it. I had forgotten that song and now it's back in my head. Ban Ram!

6a0133f30ae399970b019aff34ba98970d-800wi.jpg

Back