Important software for civil engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suhasj123

Reaction score
It is good to have the knowledge about important software for civil engineers at least you should know the applications of this software. I am mentioning few of important that are widely used in civil engineering for various purpose.

Most Important Civil Engineering Software:

• AutoCAD :
Application: Modeling, Drafting , Architectural Drawing

• Revit :
Application: Construction Software(Instead of AutoCAD Revit is been used in Many Industries) and Building Information Modeling Software used in Structural Engineering.

• 3D Home Architect :
Application : Powerful and Flexible 3D home Design

• STAAD Pro :
Application: to analyze the response of Wind, Earthquake and moving load.

• Mathcad :
Application: Numerical Analysis and mathematical operations.

• 3D Max software :
Application: 3D visualization of designs.

• Microsoft O7ce: Excel, Word, Power point
Application: Generating/writing reports and creating presentations.

• Etabs :
Application: To calculate all the moments like shear force and column moments easily and make Big building designs with much ease.

I know I could not function on a daily basis without: HydroCAD, FlowMaster, CulvertMaster, and StormCAD

I know I could not function on a daily basis without: HydroCAD, FlowMaster, CulvertMaster, and StormCAD
JQ, I thought you were roadway, not drainage.  Or is this for drainage in relation to roadway projects (ex culverts)?

Of all the software mentioned so far, I only use ACAD with Civil 3D (though I could get away with regular stock ACAD 90% of the time), and MS Office (Word, Excel, PP, Project).  Not listed but I rely on a lot is Adobe Pro.   

Well it is the most difficult discipline of engineering....

default_poking.gif

I use Autocad and Revit a lot. Also RISA 3d, and Adobe Pro (but I miss Bluebeam so much!).

AutoCAD is great for creating drawings and models, while Revit is useful for construction and building information modeling. STAAD Pro helps analyze structures for things like wind and earthquakes. Mathcad is handy for numerical analysis, and 3D Max helps with visualizing designs. Microsoft Office tools like Excel, Word, and PowerPoint are essential for generating reports and creating presentations. Etabs is awesome for calculating forces and designing big buildings.

Back