Need Advise, FE Civil

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLD

Reaction score
I need some advise, I had take the FE exam 6 times, 2 times on the old version (paper and pencil). I am a very bad test taker. The third time I didn't study, the fourth time I only focus in the areas that I needed to strength. The other times I studied a lot. I been out of school for 7 years and now I am in a position that I need to pass the FE exam to keep my new job.
I have two little kids a one and half year old and a five year old starting kindergarten. I don't really have time, but the last two times. I put my kids to bed and I studied until 1 or 3 o'clock in the morning, go to work full time and do it all over. I did that for 3 months or more. I though that for sure I would pass the test but nooo.. I am very discourage. I am not sure what to do. I attached my last NCEES diagnostic for you option. 
I want to take a review class. Any suggestions??

View attachment 2017_C07_09_Examinee_Diagnostic_1.pdf

Have you taken a review class? I would try that. They can really help focus in on the topics needed to pass. I used EET for the PE and they were awesome. I can't comment specifically on their FE prep but I would look into it. Other than that I always find I retain more material working problems than I will just reading. Work as many practice problems as possible and memorize the ref manual.

Thank you Jbone, I will look into the EET company. I been checking several online course. The ppi2pass have the best reviews but they are very expensive, about $1,700 for the live online class and all the other competitors are an average of $990 for the live online classes. it makes me wonder why are the so expensive. Thank you for replying to my post.

@DLD,

Like you, I took the FE after being out of school for about 7 years and had a 5 y/o at home. I also suck at standardized tests. I woke up and studied at 4am before work, during lunch,  and a bit after work. I also put in 10hrs over the weekend. I did this for about 8 months. Then I took school of pe right before I took the exam. Luckily my wife was very supportive of this. It took a lot of self discipline but I felt very prepared for the FE. 

For me it was setting my mindset. I had previously taken the FE twice while in college and failed and I WASN'T going to fail again. I told myself that failure wasn't an option. I did whatever I had to do to pass. 

I recommend that you take a review class. It's an investment into your future. And leave yourself no option but to pass. Plan on being way over prepared. 

Good luck.

Good Luck DLD! 

P.S.: When you get a chance, kindly read in the forum posted by Fire_PE about his "test taking strategy". This may help you increase your chances of making the cutoff score. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I need some advise, I had take the FE exam 6 times, 2 times on the old version (paper and pencil). I am a very bad test taker. The third time I didn't study, the fourth time I only focus in the areas that I needed to strength. The other times I studied a lot. I been out of school for 7 years and now I am in a position that I need to pass the FE exam to keep my new job.
I have two little kids a one and half year old and a five year old starting kindergarten. I don't really have time, but the last two times. I put my kids to bed and I studied until 1 or 3 o'clock in the morning, go to work full time and do it all over. I did that for 3 months or more. I though that for sure I would pass the test but nooo.. I am very discourage. I am not sure what to do. I attached my last NCEES diagnostic for you option. 
I want to take a review class. Any suggestions??

View attachment 10058
I would definitely recommend a review course. I failed the EIT the first time too.  What really helped me is learning where all the formulas were in the manual so I'd be able to turn directly to those formulas.  I imagine you have a decent idea of the manual, so I'd try the review course.

Back