Necessary References For Exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apikero

Reaction score
I have scrolling through forums looking for references that people have brought into the exam. I have my old notebooks from college, old text books, the Lindeburg PE reference manual, and have read that the NVFAC 7.1 & 7.2 really helped. I have heard stories of people literally wheeling in carts of books and text books. What did you (or someone you know) bring in and find to be necessary? Also, what wouldn't you recommend bringing?

Thanks for the help!

Start by looking at the references given in the NCEES specs. NVFAC may be helpful but could also provide way more info than needed and could affect your study time if you try focusing on topics not covered in the exam or that go to advanced. 

Go into the exam what you feel comfortable with and resources you know. If you bring a book just to have it and don't use it during exam prep, chances are you won't use it on the exam or you won't know where to find what you need and will just waste time searching through the book.

Start by looking at the references given in the NCEES specs. NVFAC may be helpful but could also provide way more info than needed and could affect your study time if you try focusing on topics not covered in the exam or that go to advanced. 

Go into the exam what you feel comfortable with and resources you know. If you bring a book just to have it and don't use it during exam prep, chances are you won't use it on the exam or you won't know where to find what you need and will just waste time searching through the book.
Hmmm.... I was about to "correct" you yme because I thought NCEES did not list any standards for the Geotech depth but, you're right, they do. 

https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/Civ-Geo-April-2015_with-design-standards-for-Oct17.pdf

Good advice. 

I'd suggest you two Geotechnical book by Robert W Day.

1. Geotechnical Engineers Portable Handbook. - The layout is straightforward you can find any information pertain to Geotechnical Engineering very quickly in this book. The only con is the font is very small.  Amazon Review

2. Geotechnical and Foundation Engineering : Construction and Design. - This is a must have book for all geotechnical engineer. It'd help you immensely if you are related with geotechnical design.

Now if you like to carry textbook than the ultimate choice is

1. Principles of Geotechnical Engineering . B. M. Das

2. An Introlduction to Geotechnical Engineering Robert D. Holtz, William D. Kovacs

I'm taking PE exam for the first time but I found those book standout among others. But yes the choice is yours.

Hmmm.... I was about to "correct" you yme because I thought NCEES did not list any standards for the Geotech depth but, you're right, they do. 

https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/Civ-Geo-April-2015_with-design-standards-for-Oct17.pdf

Good advice. 
While I haven't yet taken the exam, I can practically guarantee that you'll want more references than ASCE 7 and the OSHA excavation regulations for the geotechnical depth section. Those 2 standards will probably help you on a maximum of 3 questions. Even when combined with the geotech portion of the CERM, I'd consider my reference material to be dangerously light. 

I'll definitely be bringing the two listed standards, but along with them will come at least a few geotechnical reference books and (bound) sets of notes.

PS - No shade on you, @ptatohed. I just don't want anyone to walk away thinking the listed design standards will pull them through a majority of the geotechnical depth section. 😁

While I haven't yet taken the exam, I can practically guarantee that you'll want more references than ASCE 7 and the OSHA excavation regulations for the geotechnical depth section. Those 2 standards will probably help you on a maximum of 3 questions. Even when combined with the geotech portion of the CERM, I'd consider my reference material to be dangerously light. 

I'll definitely be bringing the two listed standards, but along with them will come at least a few geotechnical reference books and (bound) sets of notes.

PS - No shade on you, @ptatohed. I just don't want anyone to walk away thinking the listed design standards will pull them through a majority of the geotechnical depth section. 😁
Good advice W.I.A.  :)   

Back