I have some questions!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattchew

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have read throught a few good posts here but still have so many questions about the FE and PE exams.

I am studying Mechatronics at MTSU and plan on taking the FE in December. Since my concentration is a combination of mechanical, electrical and computer engineering I will be taking the Other Disipline FE exam.

Is there any reason to take more then one FE exam? Would taking the Electrical and Computer FE along with the Other Disciplines benefit me in any way?

I am also looking into an exam course and have come across so many. I have narrowed it down to Testmasters, PPI, and School of PE. I feel that on demand will fit my needs best. Does anyone have any strong pros and cons I should consider before choosing one of the courses?

Thank you in advance,

Matthew.

Is there any reason to take more then one FE exam?
No. Take the one that feels the best for you. Check NCEES' exam outlines. 

Would taking the Electrical and Computer FE along with the Other Disciplines benefit me in any way?
No. You only need to pass 1 FE exam to take the PE. 

I have narrowed it down to Testmasters, PPI, and School of PE.
I have never taken a Testmasters course, but I did a PPI course for some PE topics. At the time, it was a word for word dictation from their book. I did not find it worth my time. I took the School of PE while studying for the FE and parts of the PE. I think they're the better choice. 

Thank you for your fast reply!

No. Take the one that feels the best for you. Check NCEES' exam outlines. 
So you take one FE then one PE. Do employers ever hire based on your PE concentration?

I took the School of PE while studying for the FE and parts of the PE. I think they're the better choice. 
Thank you for sharing. I just took a review course for a CLEP exam and was surprised at how little was on the actual exam. I want to make sure this does not happen again!

I think these are best tackled one at a time. I would just focus on the FE at this point. When you are ready to take the PE many have already joined the workforce and are narrowing in on their specialty. That helps them choose what PE exam would be the most beneficial. I know not everyone has the same circumstances but that's what has been my experience. I'm a civil PE. Possibly someone closer to your concentration may have more insight. 

Do employers ever hire based on your PE concentration?
Depends on the state, some states list your PE "Concentration" on your stamp and require you to only practice in that discipline. 

130.20.3 Professional Engineers under this these rules and regulations are expected to practice within their area of competence. This requires that all applicants declare their appropriate engineering discipline of competence and practice. These disciplines are as follows: Civil Structural Electrical Fire Protection Mechanical Chemical Environmental The Board will issue Certificates of Registration to those applicants who demonstrate qualifications acceptable to the Board, for a specific discipline.
I don't think a employer would higher a Fire Protection Engineer when they need an Electrical Engineer. 

Thank you everyone for replying to this topic.

Is anyone familiar with http://www.eitexperts.com/ .

After searching endlessly this is the only course that speaks about teaching methods vs. lectures which is a big incentive for me.

Matthew

I can't say that I remember reading many reviews for eitexperts.com.

Back