Aisc manual- do I really need it?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwantthatPE

Reaction score
Hi! I'm not taking the structural depth, but I am wondering if I should purchase or rent the aisc steel manual for the structures portion on the breadth? 

Hi! I'm not taking the structural depth, but I am wondering if I should purchase or rent the aisc steel manual for the structures portion on the breadth? 
The AISC construction manual is for depth. The helpful tables on it that will serve you, or save you, in the occasional problem you can get from the NDS manual (wood). They are not the same, and the continuous span tables I don't think are as good, but I doubt you will need that for the morning. If you go to the NDS site you can download the tables for free I believe. Otherwise, get them from the appendix in an old or recent CERM. I can't think of what else you would want it for in the morning. Hopefully someone else chimes in here. 

NO the AISC manual is not needed in morning, but find a way to download shear moment diagram tables as that will help visualize concepts and loading questions that may be asked in the morning.

The AISC construction manual is for depth. The helpful tables on it that will serve you, or save you, in the occasional problem you can get from the NDS manual (wood). They are not the same, and the continuous span tables I don't think are as good, but I doubt you will need that for the morning. If you go to the NDS site you can download the tables for free I believe. Otherwise, get them from the appendix in an old or recent CERM. I can't think of what else you would want it for in the morning. Hopefully someone else chimes in here. 

Back