Can some one point me in the right direction?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightbulb

Reaction score
What's up engineers?! I'm not an engineer. I'm a pilot. But I've got an idea for an invention that requires a small gearbox.  I have no clue where to begin, but thought that I could possibly teach myself how to design and build a small gearbox.  Is there like a gearbox for dummies book or something? Seriously though, if you could recommend some basic books that could get me started I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!

Have you thought about using a commercially available gearbox from some place like McMaster or Boston Gear instead of desiging your own?

Have you thought about using a commercially available gearbox from some place like McMaster or Boston Gear instead of desiging your own?
This.  Do not reinvent that portion of your design unless you intend to patent it, and from the sounds of it, you aren't trying to.

Thanks for the replies. I have looked around online for gearboxes and haven't come up with anything that would work. I'll check out the manufacturers you mentioned though. What I'm looking for is going to need to fit in a tight space so it has to be thin/flat. I'll be back with some questions as I pursue this. Perhaps it'll never work, but I can't quit thinking about it. 

Back