Need some advice!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARrado15

Reaction score
Hey all, 

So I'm kind of stuck in a dilemma right now and am trying to seek some advice for yall in the engineering field (aerospace/astro specifically.) I'm currently AD military, and am working on my B. S. in Aeronautics thorough Embry Riddle. I'm really passionate about becoming a Astronautical engineer (I've always loved space and spacecraft since a kid) but I'm not sure I'm on the right degree path. I had planned on completing my Aeronautics degree (80% complete) , and entering Purdues Online Masters in Aeronautical and Astronautical engineering, but just found out that it's not Abet accredited. It's basically impossible for me to find a degree that is ABET accredited that I can attend due to my job so I'm looking for advice from some of you that are already in the industry. Would completing my Aeronautics degree and pursing Purdues Masters degree put me at a significant disadvantage in the industry where continuing these degrees is worthless? Also, just out of curiosity, what type of jobs do Aeronautics and Astronautics type degrees (like Stanfords online MS) open up? 

Hopefully you can salvage some of your college work (first two years?$ at least) and transfer to an ABET School?

i am not in the know on the online classes but I believe Auburn has one? - it's pricey though. 

How long until you ETS and could then go to a "brick and  mortar" school?

I'm in for another 5 years. Main reason why I was trying to get some advice. I don't want to be sitting on my hands for 5 years  while I can be finishing my bachelor's and masters. I cannot go to a brick and mortar school, as the only college within 100 miles is a liberal arts school with no science degrees. I also don't want to wait until I get out (at 30) and then just start going to work on another undergraduate degree plan ( another 4 years).... 

Is Purdue's online program not accredited or Embry-Riddle?  I thought Embry Riddles BS in Aerospace Engineering was ABET?

I don't know much about that industry but in basic terms for most all of these professions I would focus on the BS Degree being ABET and then I am not sure If the Masters is quite as critical since everything is based of the BS degree for "credentials" -

If you couldn't find anything for the entire degree on line I would recommend trying to find schools that are abet accredited online and get all the Calc, Physics, Thermo, Dynamics, etc out of the way while on AD and then you would have less class room time when you get out.

Sorry not much help..

They are ABET accredited for their on campus courses. Purdue has one of the best engineering courses in the US but their online is not accredited, probably because you can't do the labs... I haven't found any engineering courses abet accredited online 

Back