Hanging weight capacity in turntables?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl_Elsaesser

Reaction score
Hi all, 

I'm a total amateur when it comes to anything engineering related, so I 'd love some advice with a project I'm working on. I'm an installation artist working on a new project where I'm hoping to suspend a piece of dry-wall in the air and rotate on a vertical axis at a speed of say 20-30 rpms. I've been doing research into hanging motors but most seem to only spin at 2rpm and are quite a bit more expensive. I'm curious what people think about attaching a regular turntable motor to a ceiling  and suspending a ~40lb piece of dry wall from it. I know hanging weight capacity is important, but 40lbs isn't that heavy.... 

Any advice is welcome or suggestions on motors to buy are even more welcome. Thanks so much everyone! 

c

It's going to depend a lot on your setup, but on first blush I don't think you will achieve the results you want with that.  If you merely use the turntable motor to drive a pulley, you can probably gear it down so that it could actually turn the sheet rock, but then you won't get the RPM's you're looking for.  The main issue is the rotational inertia of the sheetrock.  I would have to know numbers for what the turntable motor can do, but based on the fact they are designed to spin a ~1lb vinyl record... probably not going to have the torque you'll need.  A better bet would be to look into motors for driving table saws.  Good luck.

Back