EET Review course Depth vs. Breadth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CivilTX

Reaction score
If you could only afford to purchase one EET Review course at this moment, which would you recommend? Transportation Depth or Civil Breadth and why? 

I can only speak for the water resources exam but I would go with the depth portion. The breadth is the same for everyone so resources are easier to come by and the topics aren't as difficult. There are some things I wouldn't have even known what they were much less how to solve for them without the depth course. Just my 2 cents.

If you could only afford to purchase one EET Review course at this moment, which would you recommend? Transportation Depth or Civil Breadth and why? 
I think that depends on your experience and confidence in either of the sections. @Jbone27 has a good point about resources. I would say in Depth, without much experience, you would probably end up with 17 to 20 correct (Im taking structural depth).  Take the NCEES practice exam and make your decision by your result. I scored exactly like I did in the NCEES practice exam when I took it the first time. 30 in the morning 17 in the afternoon. The CERM and its Problem Companion cover the morning pretty well. but thats probably almost what the course costs. I only signed up for breadth this time around, as I am trying PPI depth and working on PPI depth material. Plus I have the EET Afternoon binder anways. Keep in mind EET is great at answering your questions. So if you feel you have more doubts in the morning than afternoon material then take the breadth so you can get good explanations on your problems. Hope this helps. 

Here's some advice....open a PayPal credit account, and pay with that. They give you 6 months interest free on purchases over $99.00

Take both the Breadth and Depth

Contrary to most of the other people who replied, I would suggest the breadth.  Taking a course (School of PE, for me) helped me refresh all the other civil engineering disciplines that had fallen off my radar in the time between the FE and PE.  I felt like it was a good use of my time and I didn't have to devote much additional study time towards those subjects.  Also, I found that self-studying for the breadth section was way too overwhelming because there's just so much material that can be covered.  It helped me to have some guidance on what the most commonly tested areas were.  Also, it's a big confidence boost during the exam when you nail the morning session without frying your brain early-on.  

As for the transportation section, last year's test seemed heavily focused on design standard look-up problems.  The classes that I took didn't really help with that, but every exam is different.

Back