NCEES new Exam specifications as of April 2017

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrMatt

Reaction score
As stated in NCEES website, the exam spec has been changed. for Instance for "Mechanical: Machine Design and Materials" there is no more thermo or fuild questions. 

Those who took the exam in April 2017, can you please confirm that there was no such those questions? 

Thank you all

Matt

Hey Matt there weren't any Fluid or Thermo questions. Just make sure to buy the NCEES Machine Design and Materials practice test and go over it to get a jist of the exam format. The format is consistent with the exam. The one thing that caught me off guard were the mechatronics questions, which I didn't study for or have reference materials for. Do yourself a favor and get a good mechatronics textbook. Best of luck!

Hey Matt there weren't any Fluid or Thermo questions. Just make sure to buy the NCEES Machine Design and Materials practice test and go over it to get a jist of the exam format. The format is consistent with the exam. The one thing that caught me off guard were the mechatronics questions, which I didn't study for or have reference materials for. Do yourself a favor and get a good mechatronics textbook. Best of luck!
Hey @lionsroar , thanks. How many mechatronics  questions are we talking about?  I am asking to see if I assume I do other parts well, will I still need to do mechatronics?

Thanks man.

Matt

@DrMatt There were a few mechantronic questions regarding sensors. There were also a few questions on FEA. And remember every question counts, so it's a good idea to have reference material for it. Check out: https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Exam-Review-Materials-Engineering/dp/1545055890/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1499798682&sr=8-5&keywords=pe+mechanical it's a good book and gives a good review of the key concepts. 

For studying you don't need to review Fluids, Thermo, or Heat Transfer. Just go over Statics, Dynamics, Mechanics of Solids, and Machine Design (Shigley Textbook) in addition to MERM and you should be fine.

Can someone please account for their experience with the new Mechanical: Thermal and Fluid exam?

I posted on this before if you read through some posts from this year. The NCEES TFS practice exam is pretty accurate. I was surprised by how many questions were not directly on the breadth of knowledge sheet and would recommend not skipping statics when reviewing for the test. Otherwise, there were no surprises. Review some HVAC, do the full review section on statics (think free body diagrams), and know thermodynamics very well. Bernoulli's equation was very important! Heat transfer was easier than I expected, but still challenging as I find the topic hard to begin with.

Back