PE October 2017 - Civil - Transportation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ23

Reaction score
Hello,

I am taking the PE exam this Fall and have picked transportation as the depth choice. I was trying to get all the design standards together and saw the list specified in NCEES to be huge. Do i need to carry all these standards to the test? Please advice

Thanks

I would highly recommend bringing all the references on the list ncees provides. You would be kicking yourself if an easy question came from a reference you didn't have. The exam and references are expensive so trying to save a few bucks up front may end up costing more in the long run if you have to retake the exam since references are updated periodically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are a MUST - AASHTO Green Book, Roadside Design Guide, HCM, MUTCD 

I didn't bring Pavement reference, but if i had to redo again, I would. 

You don't need the rest.

Passed PE in April 2017 on 1st try. 

Thanks much. I will try and get as many as I can get my hands on. 

Any references listed in the specs is open to be included on the exam. If you talk to people who took civil-construction there was at least 1 question that seemed to be out of left field in terms of what you would expect on the exam, but it was in 1 of the references and if you didn't have the reference,  you most likely got it wrong unless you had lucky guess. 

I am moving this thread to the forum you should have read before asking this question.  Please read the information on this forum.  It is very helpful.  Your question has been asked many times before. 

To answer,  when I passed, all I had was the GDHS, MUTCD, HCM, RDG, and any of the free ones.  Definitely forget the pavement books.  To me, there is a point of diminishing returns by getting all the books.  Money and time can be better spent elsewhere.  

As mentioned above, the Green Book is an absolute must - you will use it more than any reference. Roadside Design, MUTCD, HCM, HSM should also be requirements.

I didn't bring a pavement book or concrete book...sort of wish that I did.

The best advice that I can offer is - if you decide to bring a particular reference, know what material is in the book.  Use tabs...lots of tabs.  If you're opening the reference for the first time on exam day, you're wasting time and carrying excess weight.

IMO, to be an Engineer you need to be able to realize what sources you need to reference, when you need to reference them, and how to reference them, which if you prepare well enough for the exam, that is what you will be doing a lot of. Referencing.

Back