Need help with Goswami Solution

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utilityeng

Reaction score
Practice Exam for the Civil PE Exam: Breadth + Water Resources Depth

Question 008

This is a settlement/consolidation problem. The varved clay layer is 10 ft thick and has a 12 ft layer of sand over it.

In the solution, when solving for consolidation: s = H(delta e)/(1+e0), I thought H should equal the thickness of the clay layer (10ft), at least that's what the ALL-IN-ONE reference states.

Instead, the solution has H=120

Is this an error, or am I missing something?

Practice Exam for the Civil PE Exam: Breadth + Water Resources Depth

Question 008

This is a settlement/consolidation problem. The varved clay layer is 10 ft thick and has a 12 ft layer of sand over it.

In the solution, when solving for consolidation: s = H(delta e)/(1+e0), I thought H should equal the thickness of the clay layer (10ft), at least that's what the ALL-IN-ONE reference states.

Instead, the solution has H=120

Is this an error, or am I missing something?
Its not a conversion to inches? ( 10ft * (12in/1ft) ). I don't have the problem in front of me, just saying.... 

Deffinately sounds like a conversion factor. Look at the dimensions in the problem as well as in the solution.  Is everything in ft, or was 1 of them in inches?

This topic is a great example of the type of issues you will see on the test.  There will be answers for both if H=10 and H = 120.

Pay attention to conversion factors. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back