I passed PE civil construction exam ( 8 attempts )

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on Passing! Would you mind elaborating on your attempts? What state was this in? 
Maybe i was kept changing the depth. i have tried the geotechnical, transportation and construction. My advice is that do not change the depth. stick with one depth.

Thanks for sharing that with us, I failed my first time and I am getting ready for my second attempt, I don't know what it is but I am not feeling good about this, I feel like I don't know what they are going to throw out there again as far as construction problems go, and I feel like if I focus too much now on depth, I am going to screw up some of the am stuff.

Thanks for sharing that with us, I failed my first time and I am getting ready for my second attempt, I don't know what it is but I am not feeling good about this, I feel like I don't know what they are going to throw out there again as far as construction problems go, and I feel like if I focus too much now on depth, I am going to screw up some of the am stuff.
I am right there with you! I just spent too much money on all of the construction references I could get my hands on and am having that thought of "what if I go overboard with construction and bomb the morning?!?" So I've started at the breadth again and am giving myself two months for breadth and then two months to go over all of the construction references and then work problems and practice exams. It might seem like too much time for some people, but for me if I don't put the time in, I can't see myself passing next time.

But yes, after that last exam I don't know if I'll go into this next one with the confidence that I thought I had the first go around... All we can do is the best we can do.

If you can ace the construction portion of the exam you really don't need to get much else right. The Breadth Exam specification includes approx 12 questions that are from the Construction portion.

http://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/Civ-Con-April-2016_with-design-standards.rev-1.pdf

Combined with the PM Construction Depth, 52 questions our of the 80 on the exam are directly related to construction. If you get just a handful of the other questions correct you have passed the exam!

Getting all the construction questions correct is not really realistic. But the point is that construction topics are over-represented in the morning module and you can use that to your advantage. Best luck to you!

Thank you for the advice.  My first attempt in April ended badly, getting only 50/80 correct.  It is discouraging but time to get in the right frame of mind for the October exam. 

If you can ace the construction portion of the exam you really don't need to get much else right. The Breadth Exam specification includes approx 12 questions that are from the Construction portion.

http://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/Civ-Con-April-2016_with-design-standards.rev-1.pdf

Combined with the PM Construction Depth, 52 questions our of the 80 on the exam are directly related to construction. If you get just a handful of the other questions correct you have passed the exam!

Getting all the construction questions correct is not really realistic. But the point is that construction topics are over-represented in the morning module and you can use that to your advantage. Best luck to you!
GBS, I don't agree with you on this. If anything why not try to ace the morning section where there is a vast majority of study information and then try to focus on the larger afternoon sections where indepth study material is not easy to come across?  From my test experience and based on comments from others, we have a better chance to ace the morning section than we do the afternoon.  

Hi YME,

You make a good point. I would agree that it would be easier to hit 40/40 in the AM. Anecdotally: I scored better on all my AM practice exams than my PM practice exams, typically by up to 4 questions.

I do think it is worth considering that fully 65% of the Civil Construction PE exam is composed of Construction problems. That is the highest overall representation of all depth modules. You can use this to your advantage without suffering too much on the AM portion.

You mention in-depth study materials for construction depth. Do you have Desantis' practice exam book? I would recommend it if you do not. It's very good. Of course EET Construction Depth instructed by Samir Ead is top-notch!

GBS

Back