Jump to content
Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
skc005

CA Licensure Application - Reference Clarification

Recommended Posts

Hi there,

I passed the 8 hour this past April, and the CA board has made a one time exemption to allow new applicants to submit their applications for October to the re-file deadline of July 10th. Great news for me, cause I thought I'd have to wait until next April to take the Seismic and Surveying exams.

Anyhow, I'm filling out the reference forms and I want to make sure I'm understanding what the instructions are referring to as "engagements" and "date overlaps". I have worked for one company for the last 2.5 years. As I understand it, an "engagement" is simply my company. So for all four of my references, they will be listed as "engagement 1" since it's my present company. Additionally, there is instruction to "explain overlaps in dates". If I understand correctly, this only applies to engagements that overlap in dates, i.e you were somehow working for two companies at once? As far as filling out the "from and to" for qualifying experience, those dates can overlap with my other references, correct? Right now, I have listed:

- Ref 1: 1/5/15 to 6/30/17 - 29 months

- Ref 2: 1/5/15 to 6/30/17 - 29 months

- Ref 3: 10/5/16 to 6/30/17 - 8 months

- Ref 4: 12/5/15 to 6/30/17 - 18 months

Is this the appropriate way to fill this out?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @skc005! I think you are understanding everything correctly.

Yes, an engagement is a position at a company for which you worked. I believe overlapping would be referring to working for more than one company simultaneously, also. And lastly, yes, dates from supervisors can overlap. I had two references that overlapped on my application; in fact, they had the exact same dates like your references 1 & 2. I think the BPELGS understands that staff level employees may work for more than one project manager at once.

Good luck come October!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's probably best to consult @CAPLS on this because I see it differently than you guys.  I don't think overlapping means working for two companies at once.  I think overlapping is what skc is showing for his Ref 1 and 2.  I think you can have references overlap so skc will get credit for 2 references but he will only get credit for one 29 month period.  Hopefully CAPLS can help.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:22 PM, skc005 said:

Hi there,

I passed the 8 hour this past April, and the CA board has made a one time exemption to allow new applicants to submit their applications for October to the re-file deadline of July 10th. Great news for me, cause I thought I'd have to wait until next April to take the Seismic and Surveying exams.

Anyhow, I'm filling out the reference forms and I want to make sure I'm understanding what the instructions are referring to as "engagements" and "date overlaps". I have worked for one company for the last 2.5 years. As I understand it, an "engagement" is simply my company. So for all four of my references, they will be listed as "engagement 1" since it's my present company. Additionally, there is instruction to "explain overlaps in dates". If I understand correctly, this only applies to engagements that overlap in dates, i.e you were somehow working for two companies at once? As far as filling out the "from and to" for qualifying experience, those dates can overlap with my other references, correct? Right now, I have listed:

- Ref 1: 1/5/15 to 6/30/17 - 29 months

- Ref 2: 1/5/15 to 6/30/17 - 29 months

- Ref 3: 10/5/16 to 6/30/17 - 8 months

- Ref 4: 12/5/15 to 6/30/17 - 18 months

Is this the appropriate way to fill this out?

Thanks.

What you have described here is one way that will work.  Ref. 2-4 will not receive any additional work experience credit since those dates are all encompassed within the overall dates in Ref. 1.  Overlaps are referring to two different engagements that have conflicting dates/places of employment or work experience that overlaps with dates under education credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CAPLS said:

What you have described here is one way that will work.  Ref. 2-4 will not receive any additional work experience credit since those dates are all encompassed within the overall dates in Ref. 1.  Overlaps are referring to two different engagements that have conflicting dates/places of employment or work experience that overlaps with dates under education credit.

Thanks for the input. If that's the case, if they deem reference 1 is appropriate for 29 months but deem that the experience from other references don't qualify, will they still approve my application?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, skc005 said:

Thanks for the input. If that's the case, if they deem reference 1 is appropriate for 29 months but deem that the experience from other references don't qualify, will they still approve my application?

If you have a Board-approved BS degree (ABET) in the discipline you are seeking licensure for and you are claiming that degree for work experience credit, then you need to provide evidence of a minimum of 24 months of experience in the discipline for which you are seeking licensure, performed under an appropriately licensed person.  It doesn't matter which part of the submitted experience is used to qualify as long as a minimum 24 months is accounted for.  In your described case, if 24 months of the submitted 29 months is deemed qualifying "<discipline> engineering" experience, the other 3 engagements will serve as the remaining required 3 references.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CAPLS said:

If you have a Board-approved BS degree (ABET) in the discipline you are seeking licensure for and you are claiming that degree for work experience credit, then you need to provide evidence of a minimum of 24 months of experience in the discipline for which you are seeking licensure, performed under an appropriately licensed person.  It doesn't matter which part of the submitted experience is used to qualify as long as a minimum 24 months is accounted for.  In your described case, if 24 months of the submitted 29 months is deemed qualifying "<discipline> engineering" experience, the other 3 engagements will serve as the remaining required 3 references.

Good to know, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:03 PM, Gorgoroth said:

I only had 2 "engagements" on my application. One for each of my employers.  My application was accepted.

Then you must of submitted two additional engagement/reference forms claiming no additional time so you met the requirement for 4 references.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:13 AM, fireguy_PE said:

Each company you work for is an engagement, but so is each position level to which you might be promoted. For example, suppose you start with your company as "Engineer I" and are promoted to "Engineer II" and both of those are part of your qualifying experience. You now have two engagements even though you only have one employer. Each engagement requires a minimum of one reference.

Yes, that works

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you received the authorization notice? I have same situation like you but didn't reicive any emails from board, please update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I passed the PE Exam in CA. I am now working on the Application.

I've only worked as an engineer in one utility my entire career (42 months) so all four of my engagements will be designated with 1. For each four of my references I will add different projects, but is it ok if the Engineering Tasks and Duties are copied and pasted on each form? Or should I try to put a variety of projects with different tasks to show versatility? It will still be one engagement though right?

I see the PE's I am referencing every day, and they see the kind of work I do.

Should I put all of them as continuous?

Engagement 1 From 6/15 to 12/18 42 months Manager

Engagement 1 From 6/15 to 12/18 42 months Coworker

Engagement 1 From 6/15 to 12/18 42 months Senior Engineer/Coworker

Engagement 1 From 6/15 to 12/18 42 months Indirect Supervisor

  

 Also it looks like there is only room to enter two lines worth of projects. Is it enough to just put two projects for each reference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×